Please note, events are also listed at: http://www.meetup.com/SoundVoiceMeditationL... and people also sign up there (in case it looks like no one is going !)
Do you sing in, or out of tune, or at the top of your voice … in the shower, in the car or by the sea, or when you think no one is listening ! ! ? ? Or do you enjoy singing and expressing yourself freely whenever you get the chance ? Would you love to do more of it and explore different ways of using your voice … but without the constraints of being in a choir where you have to do what you’re told all the time and have limited freedom ?
…. Excellent ! You have just qualified to join Singers Anonymous – a shady group of sort-of singers who gather in secret to practise their passion for vocalising, warbling, croaking, howling, wailing … and singing ! Trouble is, many people discover that they enjoy it more than they thought they would – and most discover that they are much better than they say they are (not that you need to be good to come) ! After a while, if you come regularly, you might get addicted and have to keep coming to the group to get support with the healthiest addiction we know ! Singing !
Come and join our playshops where you can safely explore your voice in the company of like-hearted singers and vocalisers.
Some of the aims of the session are to:
- express yourself with sound, song, rhythm and a bit of movement
- explore the beauty, wonder and emotional release of vocal expression
- sing a range of songs from all musical genres and cultures, styles and moods
- create a flowing community of vocalisers who come together to have fun
- be creative, communicate, express and release the stress of everyday life
- practise listening, expressing and communicating
NO VOCAL OR MUSICAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED – OPEN TO ALL !
Sessions flow with the group dynamic. Physical warm-ups energise the body, breathing exercises relax you, while chanting, singing and spontaneous sound-making bring the group together. Improvisation with sound & song create an ever-changing sea of harmony, rhythm & melody, with freedom to discover & explore your voice and contribute your unique expression to the group sound.
Healing from group singing & voicework comes from:
- relaxing, lowering your defences and letting go of the outside world for a while,
- expressing feelings from different parts of yourself
- energising your body with breath and movement
- sharing sound vibrations
- connecting with a group of kindred spirits.
- transforming your energy, releasing stress and mental clutter
- learning about yourself, your challenges, your creativity and about how to get out of your own way and release your voice.
- melting shyness and building confidence.
Singers Anonymous is a safe, informal group of vocalisers who enjoy sound, voice, rhythm and music to release stress, clear the mind and build community. It’s not a choir, but a playshop, with exercises, improvisations and songs blending into a rich mix of creative sound. You’ll leave feeling relaxed, energised and uplifted, with mind and body still and peaceful. It’s deep, and fun.
- Open to all levels of experience, ‘beginners’ are especially welcome.
- It’s about participation in a group, rather than individual performance.
- Uncertain singers can remain anonymous until your confidence grows, while more experienced vocalisers can shine in a supportive group.
- I balance musical and vocal awareness and discipline with the freedom to discover and explore your own, unique expression.
In a typical session we will do:
- stretches, movement & breathing to loosen and energise the body.
- voice warm-ups to develop technique, creativity, flexibility & power
- free improvisation and sound-making to express our feelings bring the group together. We also sing simple songs and improvise with them
- toning, sound meditations, sacred chants and world music from different traditions, countries and cultures - deep, beautiful & entrancing
- group harmony singing - popular songs from any genre or era: Jazz, Pop, Soul, Blues, Gospel, Spirituals, Folk, 50’s, 60’s,70’s. Any kind of music which is energising, calming, inspiring, fun, beautiful, happy or uplifting !
It’s an opportunity to learn about energy and creativity and about getting into a flow of listening, responding, communicating and expressing different parts of yourself via spontaneous and meaningful musical interactions.
Singers Anonymous is about more than singing & voicework; it’s about using your voice as a tool for personal growth & creative self-expression. Each individual voice in a group of kindred spirits contributes to the whole sound community, creating a healing vocal workout for mind, body and spirit.
Contact: Philip Milburn. 07966 536180. 01273 779950. email@example.com
Advance booking by e-mail or text. Info on other workshops: please e-mail.
About the tutor:
Philip Milburn is an experienced music tutor, singer, multi-instrumentalist and community musician, currently studying for an MA in Participatory & Community Arts. He trained at Goldsmiths College, the Findhorn Foundation and with many different voice teachers. Singers Anon has been running for 13 years in London & Brighton.