Do you like to laugh, talk with others, and have a direct impact on the lives of others? Then The Food Bank is the place for you! Volunteers will be cleaning, sorting, boxing, and weighing food for distribution throughout the Greater Boston region. It is an amazing experience that you will leave feeling rewarded!
Some things to keep in mind:
The Food Bank will be collecting emergency contact information from everyone.
* Because of the sorting area’s machinery, NO LOOSE CLOTHING, dangling jewelry, or loose long hair will be allowed in the sorting area.
* Open-toed shoes (sandals or flip flops) and high heels are NOT allowed for safety reasons. We recommend dressing in layers according to the outside weather, and clothes that can get messy. The food bank will provide plastic gloves upon request; some people like to bring work gloves.
* Please do not bring items of value into The Food Bank. The Food Bank is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Facilities and the day’s activities:
* Restrooms are located next to the sorting area.
* Upon arrival, please enter and exit through the front (glass door) entrance; then please sign in on the sheet provided. Saturday volunteers: please use ramp entrance by loading docks. You may need to ring the doorbell. Please be patient as there is just one person to let everyone in and they may be taking a group to the volunteer room when you ring the bell.
* Volunteers are given breaks in the Volunteer Room where there are snacks and drinks provided by The Food Bank. Eating and drinking in the warehouse is not allowed, so snacks and drinks should be consumed in the Volunteer Room. Please don’t remove any snacks from the Salvage Room breakroom, or anywhere else in the warehouse.
* Help us keep the Volunteer Room clean! Please clean up after breaks and after your session.
*Use of cell phones is prohibited in the warehouse. Cell phone calls can be made in the Volunteer Room
Please park in our gated lot; when you approach the gate will lift. During the work week, we provide parking but encourage carpooling as the lot can fill up on weekdays and we cannot guarantee a space. Please do NOT park in "member agency" spots. If the lot is full, we have an alternative lot at the end of the building to which we can direct you as necessary. Weekends have plenty of parking options. Volunteers come to our front door area to sign in, and the receptionist will guide you. We have lockers for purses or bags, but The Food Bank is not responsible for lost or stolen items. If you are lost and need directions, please call[masked] to let the volunteer associate know.