NOTE: Online payments now closed. Seats still available at the door.
Come socialize and get into the Halloween spirit early with this classic silent film! Admission includes one free drink and, in addition, the venue is giving us a 20% discount on food!
"Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens" (translated as "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror", or simply "Nosferatu") is an early (and unauthorized) film adaptation of Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula". Made in the German Expressionist style, it is considered one of the most influential horror films ever made. The version we will be viewing has been digitally restored, frame by frame. It also features the original score written by Hans Erdmann (who incorporated some material by others, including Bizet and Chopin), reconstructed by conductor Berndt Heller and performed by the Saarbrucken Radio Symphony.
Synopsis: Thomas Hutter (Gustav von Wangenheim), a real estate agent, is sent to a castle in Transylvania to meet Count Orlok (Max Schreck), who wishes to buy property in Hutter's town of Wisborg, Germany. Orlok, a vampire, becomes obsessed with Hutter's wife Ellen (Greta Schröder) after seeing a picture of her. He feeds on Hutter's blood, then departs, leaving the weakened man trapped in the castle. Traveling to his new home, Orlok kills many people along the way. After he sets up residence in Wisborg, there are so many victims that the townspeople ascribe the deaths to an outbreak of plague. Can anyone stop the evil Count before it's too late?
Director: F.W. Murnau
Length: 94 minutes, Country: Germany, 1922
Silent, with English intertitles.
Friday, October 4th, 2013
6:30 pm: Door opens.
7:30 pm: A brief intro to the movie.
7:45 pm: Movie starts!
9:20 pm: Movie ends. Stay and continue meeting others!
10.00 pm: Event ends. We may go out for an "after-party" nearby if there is interest.
- Advance purchase is recommended. RSVP without payment does NOT reserve your seat.
- If not sold out, tickets will be available at the door on a strict first-come, first-served basis, regardless of RSVP. (Cash only, please.)
- All tickets include a coupon redeemable for one drink (beer, wine, soft drink, etc.)
- The venue is offering 20% off on food purchases.
- Please turn off your cell phone/beeper when the movie begins.
- Bringing your receipt for prepayment is helpful but not required. (At the door, there will be a list of names of those who paid online.)
See you there!