Help support your MeetupChip in
We are a small group of friends who want to meet other single parents with children, mostly from Miami-Dade and South Broward County. We focus mainly on children's activities, although we may have an occasional adult activity. We have a mix of parents. Some have toddlers, some have small kids around six to ten years old, and we have some parents with pre-teens, boys and girls.
This group is for you. My daughter is a teenager now, living with her mother in Jacksonville, and in the fall of 2015 she will start attending college at FSU. But I enjoy the group, and have made many friends over the years, and I do not want to give up the many friendships I have made. This means that Singles For Children is for you and your kids. I will occasionally host an event, but I encourage our members to host events, and to also post their ideas for events.
If you do not see events near your neighborhood, please, please go ADD AN EVENT and post it. Sometimes smaller kids like going to the park and swinging and sliding the most, and everyone loves house parties.
If the weather is bad, check our web page discussions, or RSVP or call or text us, we may change the agenda at the last minute and go do something else, particularly if we have no YES RSVPs. We do not usually cancel events for thunderstorms, when they pass in an hour the weather is better than ever.
See our about page and our photo albums for some of our previous activities.
POLICIES FOR THIS MEETUP GROUP:
1. Singles For Children is open to single parents/grandparents with children through seventeen years old. We will consider single parents with young grandchildren who wish to join, or single parents with older kids on a case by case basis. If your kids age out of the group you can still attend events if you have been active. You can also attend events on the weekends when you don't have your kids. If you are dating someone, feel free to bring them, if they don't want to spend time with your kids, now is the time to discover that. If you reconcile with your spouse or fiancée, especially bring them, why would I want to ban those who are good examples?
Once you have been active and have attended many events we do not mind if you date someone in the group. Dating this person then that person the another person is just not good for your kids, so please, if you want to date someone, get to know them first, take your time, and pick like you are picking someone you grow old with.
2. You can only email those people in the group whom you know, unless you are assisting organizing a meetup event.
3. We do not mind moderate drinking. However, at all times your behavior must be family and kid friendly.
4. Please let the organizer (me) know if you receive unwelcome emails or advances.
5. Profile pictures are not required. However, as this is not a dating site, please no glamour shots, no bikinis, or all-skin shoulder pictures. Also, please no grossly inappropriate profile contents.
6. Guys, we may ask that you make your meetup groups public.
7. You are free to post a kids’ activity even when there is another activity posted for that day. There is one exception: the two Easter Egg hunts on the two Sunday afternoons before Easter are our flagship events, for which we rent pavilions so we have shade and shelter, so we do not want any other activities posted that day. We will reschedule any posted events competing with the Easter Egg hunts.
MY STORY ON STARTING THE GROUP, AND WHY I LIKE TO TAKE PHOTOS
Prior to starting this group I was a member of a single parents group that admitted single parents whose kids were grown, and mixed adult activities (mostly dances and meet and eat events) with kid’s activities. Since they had very few kids’ activities and nobody wanted to get them started, I volunteered so I could meet younger single parents with kids. I don’t really care for dating or dancing, and I am not a very good dancer, and there was tension between the parents who were active with the kid’s activities and the meet and eaters and dancers, so when I started my own group I only admitted single parents with kids still in the house and with mostly kids’ activities.
My kids are older now, my youngest daughter who used to spend her summers with me will start FSU, but I still would rather call up some friends with kids and plan some kids’ activities than go meet and eat and dance. I hate bars. I hate online dating, I hate feeling obligated to fall in love with a total stranger. In the future I will do more outdoors events and maybe cross-post them on some other meetup sites, which is why I bumped up the kids’ age limits for the club, as this would appeal to the older kids. I am also getting more active in the church and the divorce support ministries. I still don’t really care for drinking or dancing or meeting and eating. But I am getting older, and seek to have the younger members be more active in the group, hosting as many events as possible.
Everywhere I go I carry a camera in my pocket. Always I try to look at my surroundings searching for what would be a brilliant picture. I notice more of beauty and the colors and the flowers of the world surrounding me when I look for pictures to take. Not to mention that when you post pictures of events the members know what fun they are missing. Rest assured, when I take pictures of your kids at events, to me it is like taking a picture of a real life canvas, I don’t like to just point and shoot, I am looking for backgrounds and framing and pretty colors and happy faces and charming poses, always hoping to capture the memory of the moment.
But if you do not want me to take pictures of your kids, or you want me to remove a posted picture, you just let me know.
If you have any questions, you can email me, or you can call me at 786-389-0529 (please do not call me weekdays 8-5 when I am working, but you can call at noon on weekdays).
2,144 Happy Hour Friends
716 Families, Children
5,558 Cultured Circles