Avoid the hot Summer afternoon and evening hikes. Temperatures only in the 80s or 90s in the early morning.
This 3 mile hike starts at the DeNiza Trailhead at the end of the paved Pima Canyon Road and goes along the south ridge line to the power lines then continues along the southern ridge line and then drops down to Desert Classic trail to the South. It is a loop. It takes 1-2 hours so plan accordingly. This is an beginner level hike with elevation gain of about 600 feet and total elevation gain close to 800 feet.
Rattlesnakes, and other critters are prevalent in this area and capable of defending themselves Please pay careful attention to the ground in front of you and to where you place your feet and hands.
You will be responsible for your own safety, and equipment.
Equipment: Minimum of 2 liters water (camel pack) sturdy hiking shoes, boots, trail runners. (loose gravel, do not wear tennis shoes) First aid kit.
1. Take I-10 to Elliot Rd, and go west
2. Take a right onto 48th St and drive about 1 mile
3. A couple of streets after Piedmont, the road will start to bend way to the right
4. THIS is where you'll want to turn left onto a small street (S 48th St), if you reach Guadalupe, you've gone too far!
5. Almost immediately, you'll reach Pima Canyon Rd (on the left), where you'll see a small guard shack.
6. Drive down Pima Canyon Rd to the end of the parking lot, we'll be at the north shelter.
The Gate opens at 5:00 am in the Summer.