Skeptics of Tucson Message Board › Wednesday Autism etc

Wednesday Autism etc

Andrew
user 2751251
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 112
That was a great time.

I was glad to see all the new people.

That was a smooth evening with some interesting personalities in attendance. The best part was to see people discuss the topic. I didn't much care for the topic itself so much.

It just seemed like such a no brainer that the vaccines don't cause Autism. If identical twins have a 90% chance of each one having autism if one has it, then to me that means it is genetic. No vaccination at 3 years of age will have an influence on that. Also the mysterious 'thermilotol?' or whatever was removed in the 90's from the vaccines, and the amount of autism cases have still gone up.

So it is obviously something to be skeptical about, and not to be believed. I knew that coming into this. I think it would have been more interesting to see Jenny McCarthy talk or Larry King or whatever and then to discuss their thinking and the impact they hope to have on society. I find it interesting to see what everyday people find so compelling about this sort of thinking, why it is spreading and what I can do about it.

Most people don't have science literacy or bs detection skills. I think the media knows this and then goes with it. Maybe they even exploit this fact. We need to think of ways to counteract such sillyness.

A former member
Post #: 43
Googlewiki! - the process of googling something, and then selecting the wikipedia or wiktionary links.

Sometimes, you google something, and you don't get a wiki. This is known as, googlenowiki.

But when you google something and you get the wiki link, this is known as a full googlewiki.

If you are attempting to complete this process then you are googlewikiing, until you have successfully googlewikied something.

Some terms that I took the liberty of googlewikiing for you:

Autism

Rational

Rationality

Rationalism

Wikipedia seems to yield reliable information that checks out most of the time. That is to say that I have found no major errors, and if you find one, you can register and provide evidence to change an entry. In links 10:10 on my website, I have many more links where cross references in research may be found.

It's almost 4 am, and I wrote all of this much better once before I accidentally refreshed the page. I had more links and more fun. Now I am just a little tired.

I liked the multidimensionality of the topic, even in the ways that is was presented. Many of us told of what experience we had. "Autistic awareness per Jim and Jenny", and attemps to know what is really going on. I dug every minute. Except for that one when....yawn, so sleepy. Happy reseaching all.

I will definitely googlewiki our next topic before the meeting. When are we picking the next topic? night.
A former member
Post #: 50
Andrew wrote:

So it is obviously something to be skeptical about, and not to be believed. I knew that coming into this. I think it would have been more interesting to see Jenny McCarthy talk or Larry King or whatever and then to discuss their thinking and the impact they hope to have on society. I find it interesting to see what everyday people find so compelling about this sort of thinking, why it is spreading and what I can do about it.

I did not come into this meeting knowing that the issue was obvious. I did not know about the 90% of twins of autistic children are also autistic. Given that, I agree that the idea that vaccines are the problem is very very questionable.

I think your point that it would be more interesting to evaluate the thinking of celebrities and the effect they might have on society is right on the money.