Technology and Education

A former member
Post #: 2
Don L.
AZAtheist
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 167
There is no doubt that technology is advancing rapidly. I love that ability to do research from my comfy chair at home. However, not all the info that blows out the internet pipe is good information. The information needs the well trained critical mind to sift through it.

It boggles my mind how well our ancestors did with their limited capabilities. For example, how long would it take to get a letter to a relative in 1776? What if the relative lived in Europe? Now consider how impatient one gets when the thing that was ordered on-line takes more than a week to arrive at the house.

We're not always using the technology to its full advantage, however. When I first started using a computer at work and bought one for my home, a single page of typed text took about 2,000 bytes of information. If we were to use the same techniques now, we could store the entire library of congress in our pocket on a single thumb drive and have room left over. Now a page of text uses a lot more memory but we still can put a lot on that thumb drive. It boggles the mind that we used a single 10MByte Hard Drive to service 7 CompuStar CPM computers. We managed the B-1B test program on those 7 computers. Half way through the B-1B test program we updated the disk drive to 144MBytes. The box was the size of a Xerox copier and contained 7 platters 12" in diameter. Now you'd have a hard time buying a thumb drive with that low of a capacity.

Personally, I love it.
Andrew
user 2751251
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 157
I bought a 300 megabyte hard drive in 1996 for $300. That is $1 per megabyte. My cousin has a 30 Gigabyte Ipod or something like that. It probably costs like $250 new. Now if she had bought it 13 years ago, in 1996, lets compute 30 gigs x 1000 megs/gig x $1 = $30,000. It would cost her $30,000 if she had wanted to buy it back then. The price has gone down, the size has decreased and the capacity has increased 100 fold.

As to sifting through information and discerning what is good and what is bad on the internets. One of my favorite quotes is:

"Source determines quality"

If you merely ask yourself who you are getting the information from, you can determine if it is worth while. Most people are so thoroughly sloppy, unreliable and wrong with their facts that nearly everything is useless information. I say trust peer reviewed academic journals. They have standards. Anything else on the internet is a suggestion or for entertainment.