addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Skeptics of Tucson Message Board › Skepticism Fails on Meetup for Tucson, AZ

Skepticism Fails on Meetup for Tucson, AZ

Philip M.
PhilipMacDuff
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 10
As of this morning, there are 293 registered meetup groups in Tucson. I counted 60 that I would consider failures of skeptical thinking - groups whose names, descriptions, or keywords reflect acceptance or promotion of topics such as homeopathy, spiritual healing, reiki, energy healing, psychic activities, channeling, paranormal activities, etc. I've included my list at the end. Feel free to investigate them and correct me if you think I've miscategorized them.

There are currently only three groups I could find that encourage skepticism, science, and rational thought and reject the other sort of nonsense. You guessed it - Skeptics of Tucson, Tucson Atheists, and Center for Inquiry.

Some of them are worse than others, and some of them I had a little difficulty including in the list. For example, I included the Vegan and Vegetarian group (of which I am a member), because they include "Alternative Health" as one of their keywords. I've been to some of their meetups and they don't all mean it as innocuously as I'd hope they would. I've heard arguments along the lines that eating meat causes cancer, causes depression, etc., which is nonsense and a complete skepticism fail.

So I did this little exercise and I'm posting it with two questions in mind, and I hope you guys can help me out here.

1) Do we, as skeptics, have any obligation to do anything about these groups in our own backyard?
2) If so, what?

I think that we do have some obligation to find ways to encourage skepticism and rational thinking, but I'm curious about other people's opinion.

Here is my list. By the way, these are all the group names, so you can just search for these names if you're curious as to why I included them:
Gnostic Meetup Group
Tucson SoulCollage®
Tucson, Awake and Aware
Krishna Tucson
The Metaphysics of our Changing Times
SaLT-Fire Confederacy: Non-Violent Spiritual Activism
The Sedona Method® in Tucson AZ
Scandinavian Health & Wellness
Healing Spectrums for Health & Wholeness with Thomas Gates
Tucson Soul Mate Seekers (Law of Attraction)
Exploring Multi-Dimensional Consciousness - Tucson
Wiccan Mentorship-Tucson AZ
Ramtha's teachings Meetup, Tucson
2012 ReadinessTucson
Tucson Spiritual Experiences Group
Conscious Sexuality and Intimacy
Jyoti Meditation
Tucson GOOOH - Get Out Of Our House (Glenn Beck)
Tucson Nurse Your Spirit Group For Healthcare Providers
Tucson Paranormal Meetup Group
Rainbow Didge Music Presentations
Universal* White Time Healing
CENTER FOR SELF-DEVELOPMENT
Tucson Otherkin (vampires, werewolves, etc - I'm not kidding)
The Earth Spirit Healing Place
A Course in Miracles Study Group
T u c s o n ** A s t r o l o g i c a l ** E n c o u n t e r
Tucson Buddhist Study Group
Collective Awakening
Leading Edge Technologies for Body, Mind & Spirit
Tantra in Tucson
EFT Healing Network
Green Valley Meditation Group
The Tucson Wellness Collective
Tucson Yoga, Breathwork, & Meditation
Alternative Healing Arts
Medical Intuitive Training
Italians in Tucson (I don't believe in Italy. I think it's like Atlantis)
The Tucson Scientific Shamanism Meetup Group
Violet Voyage
Massage Share & Tutor (Non-sexual)
Healing With Sound
Tucson Circle for the Shamanic Arts!
Psi-Power Tucson
Spiritual Explorations of Tucson, AZ
My Church Bible Studies
The Tucson Witches Meetup
Moonlight Drum Circle Meetup
Eckhart Tolle Meetup Tucson
The Tucson Sufi Meetup
Soul Empowerment Tucson Group
The Tucson Raw Food Meetup
Tucson Energy Healers Group
The Tucson 9/11 Truth Action Meetup Group
The Tucson Vegan & Vegetarian Meetup Group (Alternative Health)
Tucson Group for Law of Attraction
Tucson Metaphysics
HeartStream-Positive Thought, Prayer & Intention Tucson
The Way of Mindfulness Meditation of Tucson
HeartStream - Intuitive Coaching Group
The Metaphysics Meditation Buddhism Meetup Group

Don L.
AZAtheist
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 212
Philip,

That's some list! You'll find some that you listed as suggested by Meetup.com on the right of the home page. I wonder if members of those groups don't get Skeptics of Tucson listed in their "other nearby Meetups."

We have no obligation to change their way of thinking anymore than they have an obligation to fix us.

In the past, we've asked this question and had group discussions on the topic of what is our special obligation as clear thinking Americans to the rest of the society. Are we under some duty to "spread the rationality?" It was fun to discuss.

There is a reason that all these folks are in Meetup.com. The site offers that ability to bring like minded folks together within a community. It works for us and it works for them.