This Meetup is cancelled

Mt. Aylmer Backpack/S5 ( No Beginners ) Very Strenuous RSVP April 5th 9 PM

  • to

  • To Be determined

    123 Center St. NE, Calgary, AB (map)

    51.091919 -114.062439

  • Price: CAD25.00/per person

    Refund policy

  • RSVP April 5th 9 PM 33 km and 1768 meters of elevation. Mount Aylmer is a mountain in Banff National Park. At 3,162 m (10,374 ft), it is the highest point of the Palliser Range and the entire East Banff Ranges of the Canadian Rockies. The mountain was named in 1890 by J.J. McArthur after his hometown of Aylmer, Quebec.The summit can be climbed via scrambling. Anyone who successfully reaches the summit is rewarded with not only a great view of Lake Minnewanka but also a summit registry box. Names collected in this box are entered into the archives of the Whyte Museum in Banff. We will be campimg at Lm8 on the shore of Lake Minnewanka at the Aylmer Lookout trail junction. The plan is to hike into camp Friday evening. Saturday will be ascent day (approx 17 km rtn and 1680 meters of elevation ) Sunday we will return to the trailhead and celebrate our success at a local pub. Waivers: As per the new policy for waivers, I will bring the group waiver form with me to both the Calgary Meetup location and the trailhead. You must sign it before you will be allowed to go on this hike. You will also be asked to provide the name and phone number of an emergency contact. You are fully aware that organizers are not professional guides and you assume all responsibility for your safety and well-being. You are fully prepared with proper gear and you're physically fit to do this hike with the group.

Join or login to comment.

  • Andy D.

    Response from Banff:
    Hello Andy, Sorry but we do not have an estimated time for the re-opening of the Minnewanka Loop, and therefore the backcountry campground. Could you please check back closer to the date, or if you prefer, we can cancel your reservation and you could re-book in a different area of the park that was less affected. Thank you,
    SF
    I think we should just cancel and go somewhere else. Refunds will be given to those who paid.

    June 28, 2013

  • Andy D.

    Tried to phone Banff again and just get the same message . we'll get back to you after we assess the backcountry camps ( When??) I'll check the trail reports ( probably outdated ) and give it one more day.
    What about Glacier Park Montana??

    1 · June 27, 2013

    • A former member
      A former member

      Glacier Park Montana would definitely be on my to do list. Its just a matter of how many people would have passports and where would we stay. Plus logistics of fuel, currency exchange, etc. If the Aylmer trip is no go and any are interested, I could take at least two up to Jasper Friday for a scramble of Roche Bonhomme Saturday. I have a group vehicle pass and we could decide on where to tent overnight as there are tons of camping spots in and around Jasper townsite.

      June 28, 2013

    • Mike S.

      I'm thinking Aylmer is a no go. I'm going to plan a few different trips for this weekend instead I think.

      June 28, 2013

  • Jennifer

    Sorry forgot its the only stampede weekend for me since I will be in Costa Rica the following weekend ;)

    June 28, 2013

  • Scott M

    The best we can hope for from the park probably is trail report update.I will be out of email connection until July 3rd

    June 28, 2013

  • Scott M

    The best we can hope for from the park probably is trail report update.I will be out of email connection until July 3rd

    June 28, 2013

  • Mike S.

    Sweet, highway 1 is now open from Calgary to golden again. Now the only question will be the campsite and the trail around the lake.

    June 26, 2013

    • Jessica C.

      I just saw the news & k-country looks way worse. It's also not holding up national trade.

      June 27, 2013

    • Andy D.

      We have to decide soon. I can't see Parks rushing in to fix backcountry camps and trails that may have been damaged. By the end of Friday evenig or Saturday morning we will have to decide.

      June 28, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Pretty dire looking report: http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp?oPark=100092

    What will be happening if this trip is a no go and when will a decision be made to pull the plug? If the bridge crossing over Stewart Canyon is out and the entire series of Lake Minnewanka trails remain closed it will be impossible to get back there.

    June 26, 2013

    • catalin

      Maybe a day trip to Yoho? :)

      June 26, 2013

    • Peter C.

      Just in case anyone was mulling over the possibility of coming into Minnewanka and down to Aylmer from the Ghost Lakes side, I just talked with a guy from ACC today who says that the road into Ghost Valley is now virtually impassible in anything other than a tank. So, I would recommend leaving that possibility for a longer trip.

      June 26, 2013

  • Andy D.

    I am still waiting on updated backcountry camping info from Banff. Currently all backcountry camps are closed indefinately. If I don't hear anything positive by Friday we should make alternate plans. Refunds will be given to those who don't agree with those plans.

    1 · June 26, 2013

  • Atash T.

    Highway 93 South (Banff-Windermere Highway) to go to Banff

    June 25, 2013

  • Mike S.

    Hmmm think we'll be able to get into Banff for this?

    June 24, 2013

    • A former member
      A former member

      That route would not be feasible Dave. The time to go that way would be almost 8 hours compared to the 1.5 hour drive (maximum) via Canmore. If you were going further north to Jasper then yes but not for Banff.

      June 25, 2013

    • Mike S.

      I was thinking about looking for an objective near Saskatchewan crossing or Jasper if this isn't feasible. Two days is hard to plan with.

      June 25, 2013

  • Andy D.

    Trail Condition Report Banff National Park of Canada
    Updated: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 BANFF: Most of the trails around Banff are closed due to heavy precipitation causing washout and mudslides for numerous trails including bridges washed out in the Banff area. Backcountry camping is currently unavailable until further notice.

    June 25, 2013

    • A former member
      A former member

      How would everyone feel about going up to Jasper Friday afternoon instead, camping overnight at one of the many campsites spread along the Icefield Parkway and then scrambling to the summit of Roche Bonhomme the following day. We could take a nice relaxing drive up the Icefield Parkway Friday afternoon, have supper in Jasper and then pick a site for the evening. I did Roche last year and it is quite a nice little scramble (mostly steep hiking and fantastic views). We could hit the Miette Springs Saturday evening and then return to Jasper for supper and a good nights rest before returning to Calgary Sunday morning. Cost to stay at one of the campsites would be about the same. If we took 3 people in each vehicle and four in one it would work perfect with the numbers

      June 25, 2013

    • Vishnu C.

      i am in

      June 25, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    If it has to be cancelled maybe it can be changed to the following weekend. That is still the weekend before they shut down LM8 and it will give Mt. Aylmer an extra week to shed some more of its snow pack. I'm also wondering about the condition of that area around Lake Minnewanka as it is quite a large body of water and would have absorbed a ton of rain.

    1 · June 25, 2013

    • Andy D.

      That concerns me also. Postponing for a week might be a good idea. I'll check with Parks and see.

      June 25, 2013

  • Atash T.

    Need help, if someone is renting stuff from somewhere please let me know , I will let you know the things I need , I won't have time to go to rental shop to pick up gears as I might be arriving Calgary Friday at noon.

    June 19, 2013

    • Atash T.

      I can't get my rentals on Friday. I have to be in Calgary a day earlier which is not possible right now so I will have to drop out of this trip. There is a person in the wait list who can take my spot.

      June 21, 2013

  • Vishnu C.

    when is the pre-trip meeting?

    June 16, 2013

    • Vishnu C.

      I just have the gear for myself (bag, pad, and some utensils.) i may need to rent a tent though and a burner

      June 19, 2013

    • Vishnu C.

      I have a 70liter back pack, so i can carry some of the stuff for the group. By the way, i have paid 25$ for the campsite.

      June 19, 2013

  • Moca J.

    We've expanded the long weekend to do a 6-day B.C. Interior cycling tour. Have Fun !

    1 · June 16, 2013

  • Bob S.

    Hi Andy, Looking forward to joining this backpacking trip. It will be great for Tonia and I since this will be our first together and I will be in town all summer.

    June 15, 2013

    • Andy D.

      'll work on getting one more spot for camping and we will have a group of 12.

      June 16, 2013

    • Andy D.

      I'm also sure there will be cancellations.

      June 16, 2013

  • Mike S.

    Andy, I'll be meeting you at the trailhead for this.

    May 4, 2013

    • Mike S.

      Or potentially @ the campsite.

      May 4, 2013

    • Mike S.

      Ignore both of these, I'm a driver

      June 13, 2013

  • Stephen B.

    Sorry have to back out of this. My apologies.

    June 10, 2013

  • Andy D.

    Permits and 5 sites are booked. The cost will be $25 per person. We will try to double up ( 2 to a tent ) to lighten our loads.Pre trip meeting details coming asap.

    May 23, 2013

  • Andy D.

    Rock helmets would be a good choice for the scramble.

    May 22, 2013

  • George

    I was hoping to attend, but I can't backpack two weeks in a row because of work. I have to spread my days off a bit farther apart.

    May 14, 2013

  • George

    Would love ti join. Need a ride.

    May 6, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Man, I book marked so many hikes with Slow&steady in the upcoming months!! So many, I had to dedicate a note book for all the RSVP open time.

    1 · April 5, 2013

    • A former member
      A former member

      lol yes I was thinking of using a Virtual Assistant to keep track!

      2 · April 6, 2013

  • Mike S.

    I'm in. It'll be a good 2 weeks :D

    March 31, 2013

  • Stephen B.

    I'm down.

    March 31, 2013

  • Jessica C.

    Sounds harrowing!! I'm in!

    March 31, 2013

  • Peter C.

    Sounds like a dandy, Andy!

    March 31, 2013

  • Moca J.

    I'm interested !

    March 31, 2013

  • Andy D.

    National Parks wilderness camping permit and fees will be included in costs along with gas fees.

    March 31, 2013

Cancelled

Your organizer's refund policy for Mt. Aylmer Backpack/S5 ( No Beginners ) Very Strenuous RSVP April 5th 9 PM

Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Imagine having a community behind you

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy