One of the best ways to enjoy backpacking and hiking is to prepare for it and the best way to do that is ... well put on a pack, hike some hills and have fun doing it! This is primarily for anyone who is training for backpacking this summer by trudging up and down hills at Glenbow Provincial Park with our packs on. Anyone interested in preparing for day hikes is also welcome, BUT you must bring a pack with some weight just to keep things fair! Beginner hikers/backpackers are welcome to join.
Initially, we will be hiking hills for up to two hours, however as fitness levels improve we may be out for up to 3 hours. If you have limited time be prepared to walk back to the parking lot on your own.
We will meet weekly Friday nights at Glenbow Provincial Park in the parking lot. Participants can arrange their own carpooling.
What to bring:
• backpack or daypack. I am going to start with 20-25 lbs in my backpack and will be adding weight weekly.
• sturdy boots or trail shoes. Running shoes and heavy packs don't mix
• pole(s) if you use them
• rain gear and warm layers for cool evenings
• headlamp (just in case...)
• water, snacks, skeeter repellant
Who can come:
No guests - its free to sign up for Slow and Steady after all...
No children under 16 years please.
Dogs are welcome but must stay on leash according to park rules.
* Please be aware that by RSVPing yes to this event, you are agreeing to the terms of Slow and Steady Hiking Waiver which you can find in full under 'More' and 'Files' at the top of the website.
Your Host is a volunteer and not a trained guide. All participants are responsible for assessing the current road, weather and trail conditions for the trip; and, you are responsible for your safety and well-being. You are fully prepared with proper gear, food and water, personal First-aid and you're physically fit to do this hike with the group.