Slow and Steady Hikers Message Board › Waitlists

Waitlists

A former member
Post #: 27
WAITLISTS
What can you do when the hikes have long waitlist?
Signup for hikes you want to do when you get the notice, don't wait.
Watch for encores for a second hike posting and signup right away.
Suggest a second hike on that trail for another day..
You can become an organizer and post the trip same day different trail.
Offer to drive others and you may be moved up the list.

Why do we have waitlists?
Certain trails can be crowded and make it difficult to ensure group is safe, together and enjoying the hike.
It's the Organizers choice. Some prefer smaller groups.
The hike may require supervision by the Organizer and that's best in a smaller group.
There may be very limited parking in unofficial spots.
We want to give assistance to new hikers and sometimes we have a lot of newcomers.
To help manage risk so we can assess the progress of the hike.
Having huge groups reduces the opportunity to get to know one another.
Many hikers like to hike in quiet surroundings and it's difficult to manage noise levels with huge groups.

So what happens if I just show up at the trailhead at the same time as the group?

That is called "crashing an event" and is not acceptable. You will not be allowed to join the hike. Organizers will be informed of the crash. Repeated crashing will likely have you banned from the group.

You can go on your own, we suggest you not arrive at the trailhead when you know the group is meeting. If you do by accident explain to the Organizer and don't ask to join.

Be fair and considerate to others on the waitlist. You can improve your ability to get on the RSVP list. We will have other hikes. We want to keep group sizes manageable and we have tried to accommodate everyone moreso than any other club. We ask that you respect the waitlists, organizers and fellow hikers.

A former member
Post #: 2
Great post Rosemary! You nicely outline pretty much all the of the reasons I limit my hikes to 12 or 14. That and environmental reasons. I sometimes cringe when I see big groups on the trails as I believe it can be disruptive to wildlife, tough on the trails and is counter intuitive as to why a lot of us hike in the first place! I can understand people's frustration is not getting on the hikes they want but at the same its a privilege for us all to be out enjoying the mountains, not a right.
Clare
user 11558099
Calgary, AB
Post #: 7
It looks like I may have to do that in my little hike. How does that work?
A former member
Post #: 29
Hi Clare,

Talk to Andy and he can get you set up for hosting events then you can add features.