addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Slow and Steady Hikers Message Board › Shelf reliance

Shelf reliance

Clare W.
user 11558099
Calgary, AB
Post #: 17
I was at a arts and crafts sale at the Silver Springs Community centre on Saturday and there was a woman who was promoting this line of flash frozen foods. It's called Shelfreliance and they're supposed to be really big down in the States and with hikers and campers as the food can last for up to a year or longer after you open it. All you need to do add water. All natural as well. I had it in the small chunks she had set up at her table and at first it tasted like sponge toffee but as you chew it, all the flavour of real food jumps out. Whoever is interested in it, I'll send you her IP address.
Andy D.
ThePiedPiper
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Post #: 44
Tell me more Clare. Post the IP address on this discussion. I'm sure there are lots of us backpackers who are interested. Thanks.
Clare W.
user 11558099
Calgary, AB
Post #: 18

Here is what I was told.....It's an outfit basedout of Utah. The astronauts are supposed to be using it too...The food is supposed to be flash frozen to lock in nutrients and there are NO additives or preservatives. You can get just about anything including ice cream. You can get the tins in small or large size and the food packets can feed up to four people. The woman who was tending the table is Gina Balasubramanian. This is her website: www.ginamanian.shelfreliance.com.
Mike S.
user 14165493
Calgary, AB
Post #: 8
FYI, her IP address for that site is 69.167.130.52. In case you were actually wanting the IP address :)
Mike S.
user 14165493
Calgary, AB
Post #: 9
This is just freeze dried foods. They're all the same - extremely light and salty. Add boiling water, let sit for 10 minutes, gag down, sleep, repeat.
A former member
Post #: 40
Maybe this tastes different than the regular stuff, Mike. Clare how do you find the taste and portion of these, compared to regular freeze dried food available at MEC? hmmm?
Mike S.
user 14165493
Calgary, AB
Post #: 10
I looked at the site, they all have >50% sodium, no different than any other freeze dried foods.
Clare W.
user 11558099
Calgary, AB
Post #: 19
I didn't taste a lot of sodium in the food as I was trying it. The only criticism I have is that it tastes like sponge toffee as you bite into it. and the ingredients label doesn't specify any added sodium so if there is, then these guys are in a lot of trouble as it's supposed specify any added sodium in the ingredients. This stuff isn't for everyone. I don't think I'll be changing my eating habits anytime soon as I still enjoy a sandwich and peanuts on my hiking trips.
Jessica C.
user 3408305
Calgary, AB
Post #: 7
Wow!!! This is food for "Doomsday Preppers!!! The food lasts TWENTY YEARS!!!! There are calculators on the site for how much food you need for your emergency plan!! This is just the beginning!

I used the calculator for the "emergency kit" for my family, and it comes to $4,738.48!!!
Clare W.
user 11558099
Calgary, AB
Post #: 20
I never said it was cheap...that's one reason why I may by it in small packages if at all. Morgan, I really can't say if it's better than what MEC has as I don't shop for food there at all. I'm still the kind of guy who packs his lunch the way hikers did years ago....with old fashioned foods from old fashioned supermarkets. I think this stuff is for people who plan to be out in the wilderness for months if not years.