Slow and Steady Hikers Message Board › Hiking and Sketching – Anyone Interested?

Hiking and Sketching – Anyone Interested?

Linda
user 53100532
Calgary, AB
Post #: 16
I've been thinking of putting on some Hike & Sketch trips, if there are any hikers interested in doing them with me.
Sketching isn't about producing Capital-A Art, but about recording your impressions of the areas you travel through. If you Google “Hiking and Sketching”, you'll see an amazing diversity of images that other people have produced.
I would be selecting shorter, scenic trails for these trips, say under 6km, which would allow us to make several stops of 20 minutes to half an hour to do sketches of whatever captures our fancy: wide vistas, interesting trees and plants, creeks, rivers, ponds and lakes, structures, or even your fellow hikers. Group sizes would be relatively small (no more than 10).
There would be no requirement to show your sketches or post images of them online, if you're not comfortable doing this, although I hope at least a few people will share what they capture in their sketches. No previous experience with any visual art form would be required.
I would suggest keeping your sketchbook and media small and easy to pack, small enough to slip into a large Ziploc freezer bag in case of rain. You might also want to bring along something you can sit on, such as a pad for the ground, or a lightweight tripod stool. Dry media you could try are: pencil, pen, charcoal, conte crayon, colored pencils, pastels (either dry or oil types). Wet media could include: pen and ink, watercolor paint, or anything else that dries almost instantly (acrylic and oil paints would take too long to dry for our purposes).
If you think you might like to try this, please respond to this post. If at least a half dozen people are interested, I'll start planning some trips. We might only get in a few trips before it gets too cold, but it will give me a chance to work out the logistics in preparation for next summer. Suggestions are also welcome.
A former member
Post #: 15
Yes, please!cool
And even in the winter such as at Elizabeth Parker Hut where you can xc ski in (12 km) and stay & sketch.
Lynda M.
LyndaMcKay
Calgary, AB
Post #: 4
Linda if I can come and photography instead of Sketch I am interested. If you want to restrict it to sketchers - I understand.
Linda
user 53100532
Calgary, AB
Post #: 17
I thought some photographers might find longer stops interesting - I sometimes have to pull them away from a particularly scenic spot! We'll wait and see if there's enough interest in this type of trip.
A former member
Post #: 3
LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! I would certainly be up for this. There never seems to be enough time on these hikes to take in all the beauty, much less take the time for sketching. Im in!
A former member
Post #: 1
I think this is a great idea for me to try. Consider me in. Please keep me posted.