The Seattle Snowshoeing Meetup Group Message Board › Intermediate & Advanced snowshoers, sound off!

Intermediate & Advanced snowshoers, sound off!

A former member
Post #: 64
Since Rod has not yet chimed in, shall we pick a date, location, and begin organizing some topics?

Janine (or any of the others here more experienced), would you be able to prioritize some topics that could be covered, in say, 45 minutes or so? Kind of like an introduction perhaps? Maybe we could poll the members for safety-related topics of interest? Maybe a Part 1 and Part 2, in two sessions? I'm just throwing out some thoughts.

I'm willing to look for potential locations on the East side; number of attendees will drive possible venues. Suggest we start small and see what happens....

Anyone on this thread, please feel free to email me or continue the discussion here, offering ideas, suggestions, recommendations.
A former member
Post #: 68
I've emailed Rod for feedback and comments; I wonder if my mails are going to his junk folder; have any of you been able to reach him? I also requested to be an assistant organizer, as I'm willing to organize the meeting we are discussing here....

Angie,

I've also e-mailed the current organizer & current Assistant Organizers to make plans for who is interested in leading for 2009-2010 & getting organizer or assistant organizer permissions for folks like you willing to commit to the group.

Thanks so much, Angie!

Best wishes,

Janine
Dedicated Snowshoer for 2009-2010 season
A former member
Post #: 29
I've e-mailed Rod a few times to become an assistant organizer for this group again and haven't heard squat. Hope all is well in his world.

As far as my experience.....I've been hiking since I was 12 and have been snowshoeing for about 4 yrs. now. Dropped off the scene for personal reasons and now I'm BACK!!

I have been known to lead snowshoe trips in the past and will in this group if I become an asst. if not I will lead trips in another group or groups I'm in. No big deal to me. Anyone that has met or hiked with me knows they'll have fun with me.

On that note, let's all do the snow dance!!!! Wooohooooo!!!!!

Peace,
Bernie
A former member
Post #: 68
I'm going to look for a location to host a pre-season gathering, so we can get to know everyone, talk about destinations, and very importantly, safety!

Once I get a location locked and with some assitance from those with snow shoeing safety experience, we can build an agenda.

If anyone has any suggestions for a venue, please let me know!
A former member
Post #: 30
How about Olive Garden in Kirkland?

Maybe a library conference room. Had one in the past at a library and it worked out great.
Jill
user 9662412
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
I have been deleting notices of new messages on this thread because I'm not an intermediate/advanced snowshoer. But then I peaked in out of curiosity, and will add this. I am a total novice - have never snoshoed before and want to learn and get out to enjoy the snow with others.

I am also very respectful of the dangers of outdoor sports and have little experience with winter sports, avalanche danger, etc.

I don't know how many others in this meetup are like me, but I would love to have an orientation to outdoor safety/recommended preparedness if you all are concerned about less experienced group members bringing risk to the group. I think it's a legitimate concern. I'm also happy to (and will) educate myself with the online resources already posted.

Just wanted to put this out there as an option. It would be fun to meet other meetup members before the season too. But whatever you guys decide is fine with me. I'll sign up for events as they work for me either way.

Thanks for the energy and leadership!

Jill
A former member
Post #: 54
Hello;I'm only a beginner snow shoer and joined this group last year and led some groups up on Mountain Loop Highway by the Verlot Ranger Station because I hike up there a lot and know it's safe place to go and places to go snow shoeing are easy going for beginngers like me and those who want to go slow and easy.I'm willing do to the same this year.But would also like to go with those with more experience and it would be a great idea to meet some where so we can get to know each other,talk and exchange idea's /info etc.. Wouild it be possable to do it on the eastside Kirkland/Bellvue area and on a Saturday afternoon.Thanks Dennis
A former member
Post #: 70
I've already reserved a room at the Lake Hills Library for Tuesday, December 1. I just need to contact everyone, so we can build an agenda. This is why I haven't posted the meetup just yet.

I'll try to get an email out by end of day today or very latest tomorrow morning.
A former member
Post #: 78
Well done everyone in getting the momentum going for a fabulous hypothermia-free 2009-2010 snowshoe season.

Probably the most important thing to know in snowsports is how to dress, what to pack, and where to get avalanche & weather reports. Those of you with some knowledge or interest in that already impress me as being much better than total beginners.

I'm excited there are some responsible outdoorsy folks eager for snowshoeing this winter. Bernie & Angie have posted some excellent events to get ready. The free REI avalanche awareness is definitely a useful one even for those already familiar with the topic. It's a fascinating & complicated topic. There's definitely science to learn in predicting what kind of snow is likely to hold and which is not. A friend of mine who leads winter scrambles for the Mountaineers did several tests on some snow in deciding if he should lead his group through a more dangerous spot. The two most common snow tests he did indicated the snow was safe enough. But when he did a 3rd less common test, it indicated the snow was not stable. The group was annoyed and encouraged him to blaze ahead anyway. He would not. A few minutes later an avalanche dramatically rumbled through exactly where the group would have gone had the leader not remained firm in his decision.

Who in our group has this level of expertise? I don't. I graduated from the Mountaineers 6-month Alpine Scrambling Course. My experience with avalanche prediction is only the avalanche lecture I heard that evening in 2001. More advanced courses are offered by the Mountaineers and other Mountain Safety organizations, but I haven't taken them. Who in our group has experience with snow testing?

A former member
Post #: 88
Anyone in this group of 500 with Avalanche Survival or Mountaineering Oriented First Aid training?

Well done everyone in getting the momentum going for a fabulous hypothermia-free 2009-2010 snowshoe season.

Probably the most important thing to know in snowsports is how to dress, what to pack, and where to get avalanche & weather reports. Those of you with some knowledge or interest in that already impress me as being much better than total beginners.

I'm excited there are some responsible outdoorsy folks eager for snowshoeing this winter. Bernie & Angie have posted some excellent events to get ready. The free REI avalanche awareness is definitely a useful one even for those already familiar with the topic. It's a fascinating & complicated topic. There's definitely science to learn in predicting what kind of snow is likely to hold and which is not. A friend of mine who leads winter scrambles for the Mountaineers did several tests on some snow in deciding if he should lead his group through a more dangerous spot. The two most common snow tests he did indicated the snow was safe enough. But when he did a 3rd less common test, it indicated the snow was not stable. The group was annoyed and encouraged him to blaze ahead anyway. He would not. A few minutes later an avalanche dramatically rumbled through exactly where the group would have gone had the leader not remained firm in his decision.

Who in our group has this level of expertise? I don't. I graduated from the Mountaineers 6-month Alpine Scrambling Course. My experience with avalanche prediction is only the avalanche lecture I heard that evening in 2001. More advanced courses are offered by the Mountaineers and other Mountain Safety organizations, but I haven't taken them. Who in our group has experience with snow testing?