The Seattle Snowshoeing Meetup Group Message Board › Volunteers needed for "Differently-abled" Outdoors Adventure Meetup

Volunteers needed for "Differently-abled" Outdoors Adventure Meetup

A former member
Post #: 60
Hi. Some of you may have met me at Saul's meetups. Anyway, I'm seeking volunteers to help me start a meetup for people with chronic illness (like myself)...who long for the snow and lakes as much as y'all, but need some help to be able to enjoy them. I know that some of you donate to/volunteer for Outdoors for All, which is a great organization...but some of us: a) can't even begin to afford the cost, and b)don't need the adaptive equipment/level of help they provide. You'll most likely be working with people who tire easily, need to take frequent breaks, appreciate the beauty of the moment vs. reaching the `goal'...and who may not be able to carry their own 'weight' as far as water, food, etc. goes. People recovering from cancer, being treated for immune deficiencies, pain conditions.... Most of us have wickedly funny senses of humour....because really, we have to. So, I personally guarantee that you will be rewarded with: lots of gratitude, chuckles and jokes, and delightful yummies of all kinds.;)

I'm hoping to find some intermediate/experienced snowshoers, hikers, x-country skiiers...who would be excited to get a group like this 'up and running'. Okay, maybe 'up and walking...slowly'.

So, if you're an outdoorsy rockstar, please get back to me! I am planning on going to the December meeting to talk about forming the group, because I know most people don't read the message board...and because the movers and the shakers of the snowshoe meetup world will be there. Yeah, I'm totally trying to butter you up.:) But, I don't want to crash the conversation if it's inappropriate.

Feedback? Jokes? Volunteers chomping at the bit to get started??? Yay! Please get back to me!

Cheers, Harriet
A former member
Post #: 136
Hi Harriet,

I'm an active snowshoer and would be happy to be involved. The things I could most easily provide are carrying all of the gear and supplies for one or two others and transportation from a park-and-ride, and of course helping select a safe route/day/area for the outing.

On a side note, I feel that in general there is more value to everyone in having fewer and larger meetup groups since this helps consolidate interested people. You might consider rather than starting a new group, speaking with the organizers of the various existing snowshoeing and outdoors groups (such as this one, the Pacific Northwest Hiking Group, The Seattle Outdoor Adventurers Meetup, The Seattle Backpackers Meetup Group, Seattle Get up Get on Out, and several others) and simply posting events on those groups that are structured for "Differently-abled" participants. Possibly you could request to be an assistant organizer to help create the events.

Either way, however you structure it, drop me a note and I'll help out however I can, or on any of the groups where I'm an assistant organizer we could work together to put something on the calendar that brings in some additional strong bodies to help with the carrying.

Michael
A former member
Post #: 61
Hey Michael. Thanks so much for responding. Yes, I met you at one of the kayaking events. Do you remember? I have a half-English accent. I think I sent you an email afterwards about the most awesome dresses your gf was in on the runway!

In general I agree that spreading the meetup groups thinner is maybe not so effective. I think with this particular group, because the `population' I'm trying to reach is already `medically vulnerable', that I do need to start a separate group so that participants will feel safe and comfortable. I have Fibromyalgia, and do need 'special/weird accomodations', but I think even more for people who are going through cancer treatments, on hiv medication, or who have hepatitis for example....well, it's just important that people know that they are not only welcome, but wanted.

Saul has been very encouraging re: my coming on outings with his group....but the outdoors groups that I've seen are either a: really intimidating for me, or b: run by people who aren't experienced in the outdoors and wouldn't know how to teach/guide/help.

Hope that makes sense. If you could spread the word, that would be awesome! I'm hoping to go to the Cancer Alliance and other groups to let folks know that this resource exists. Ideally, it will form into a nonprofit (I'm going to get certified in grantwriting). But for now, I need to know that there are volunteers willing and interested in leading.

Talk to you soon, Harriet

Hi Harriet,

I'm an active snowshoer and would be happy to be involved. The things I could most easily provide are carrying all of the gear and supplies for one or two others and transportation from a park-and-ride, and of course helping select a safe route/day/area for the outing.

On a side note, I feel that in general there is more value to everyone in having fewer and larger meetup groups since this helps consolidate interested people. You might consider rather than starting a new group, speaking with the organizers of the various existing snowshoeing and outdoors groups (such as this one, the Pacific Northwest Hiking Group, The Seattle Outdoor Adventurers Meetup, The Seattle Backpackers Meetup Group, Seattle Get up Get on Out, and several others) and simply posting events on those groups that are structured for "Differently-abled" participants. Possibly you could request to be an assistant organizer to help create the events.

Either way, however you structure it, drop me a note and I'll help out however I can, or on any of the groups where I'm an assistant organizer we could work together to put something on the calendar that brings in some additional strong bodies to help with the carrying.

Michael