SoCal WordPress Users' Group Message Board › The Best Shopping Cart for WordPress

The Best Shopping Cart for WordPress

A former member
Post #: 22
Hello,

I have a client that is looking for a way of integrating a shopping cart into a WordPress site. I have scant experience with shopping carts and am expecting an email with a succinct list of desired features from the client, but until then I would love any kind of feedback on good shopping carts anyone has used.

Thanks for any help.
A former member
Post #: 1
I use "WP-eCommerce" from http://getshopped.org...­.

It's not without faults, but it's feature rich and free, with paid upgrades for specific features.

It's for basic stores. I use it on all of my sites and, while I do get frustrated with it at times, I generally like it a lot.

If they have a lot of items or make a lot of sales, then you should use a paid, dedicated system one like Magento, http://www.magentocom...­.
A former member
Post #: 23
Thanks Conrad!

Can you recall what you're greatest frustrations with WP eCommerce are? What do you love about it the most as well.

Also, when you say "basic store" and "a lot of items", what sort of numbers are you thinking?

So many questions, I know ;)

Until I began looking I had no idea the sheer number of shopping cart solutions out there. Mind boggling. Thanks so much for your help.
A former member
Post #: 2
It was buggy for a while, but I think they sorted out the issues. It went through a major revision in the underlying code a while back and that broke a lot of things.

I was also trying to push what it could do and ran into some walls. Customizing themes was difficult at times.

I'm a developer, so I like to push things. You should be good.

If you're doing thousands of transactions a day or have thousands of products, I might look at other options.

Since it's free, you should install it, then play with it to see if it's easy for you to manage and make sense of.

I think you'll like it.
Tammy W.
user 10393742
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Anyone have any comments on Cart66?

Thanks,
Tammy
A former member
Post #: 24
Re: Cart66: a Twitter follower had issues with it: https://twitter.com/#...­
Michael
user 4365714
Marina del Rey, CA
Hello,
I've used Shopp. It is pretty versatile but requires some programming experience to modify. It costs about $50 for the core and $25 for the payment gateway. The positive for shop is a clean interface for both the user and the admin. It has also been around for a few years so a lot of the bugs are worked out and there is a good store of information in the forums.

I've also used woocommerce (a fork of jigoshop). It is free for the core and about $50 for themes that are specifically written for the plugin, however you can get this theme for free: http://www.woothemes....­ . The positives: can beat free. Pretty solid cart system. They charge extra for a few useful plugins to the system like a front page slider and a sidebar plugin that helps you manage your sidebars page to page.

I've also used wp-ecommerce. I don't recommend it. It is ugly straight out the box and the code is a little cluttered. This is old stuff repackaged as "current." They charge for an add on called "gold cart" which you will pretty much need to buy ($50) as it adds typical functions a cart should have out the box.

So...my recommend... woocommerce+mystile+other free plugins (search woo under add new plugins and you'll find some other useful stuff)

You'll want to get from your client a feature request list. If they need things like virtual products, gift certificates, wish list, product configurator (build a product) etc... it will be detrimental to know before you choose a cart system. It is also helpful for the client to provide a full sample of a few typical product's datasets. I also charge separately for product entry. This is a big deal. A typical product with all it's assets and data can take about 1/2 hour to enter. It is imperative the client provide the data in a very specific format (name images correctly, data in a spreadsheet, unformatted text) Many products have attributes so you have to understand some products are actually 20 products (think colors and sizes) I provide category and a duplicate sample product entered into each category as part of my "core" fee, and then I charge 1/2 my hourly rate for each product entry. You'll learn the hard way when the client has 200 products they need entered and you didn't charge for it.

Hope this information helps you and future viewers.