Please note we will be meeting at a bar so no minors.
We will meet in the bar area at the haaaaunted Cosmopolitan Hotel & Restaurant at about 7pm for a drink and get to know some fellow members. After, we will walk around Old Town. Some of the places may not be open for tours but we can still walk the grounds and get pictures.
Feel free to bring a guest or anyone that might be interested in joining SoCalX!
Approx. Time: 3hrs
Please contact me with any questions -[masked]
_ _ _ _
Now I don't really buy into 'hauntings' per se, but it's still good fun to go 'ghost hunting' with people who do. For the believers, Old Town is supposedly one of the most haunted places in San Diego and falls on numerous 'San Diego's Most Haunted' lists. Find a list of notable sites below.
"Built in 1829, this former home to Juan Bandini and his family is the oldest structure still standing in San Diego. Though it's gone through various incarnations, the Hotel is newly restored (opening June 2010) with an indoor and outdoor restaurant, whiskey bar, small boutique hotel, and accommodations for special events and occasions.
Many witnesses claim to have seen a woman in a long dress haunts the building, wandering around the upstairs balcony and moving through doors long sealed shut.
You may also notice the lights flickering, or just turning on and off, all by themselves."
"The earliest documented ghost at the Whaley House is "Yankee Jim." James (aka Santiago) Robinson was convicted of attempted grand larceny in San Diego in 1852, and hanged on a gallows off the back of a wagon on the site where the house now stands. The local newspaper reported that he "kept his feet in the wagon as long as possible, but was finally pulled off. He swung back and forth like a pendulum until he strangled to death." Although Thomas Whaley had been a spectator at the execution, he did not let it disuade him from buying the property a few years later and building a home for his family there. According to the San Diego Union, "soon after the couple and their children moved in, heavy footsteps were heard moving about the house. Whaley described them as sounding as though they were made by the boots of a large man. Finally he came to the conclusion that these unexplained footfalls were made by Yankee Jim Robinson." Another source states that Lillian Whaley, the Whaleys' youngest daughter who lived in the house until 1953, "had been convinced the ghost of "Yankee Jim" haunted the Old House." A visitor to the museum in 1962 mentioned that "the ghost had driven her family from their visit there more than 60 years [earlier], her mother was unnerved by the phantom walking noise and the strange way the windows unlatched and flew up."
The Adobe Chapel:
The Adobe Chapel was originally built in 1850 as a home, and was converted to a church by Don José Aguirre in 1858. After having been bulldozed for street realignment in the 1930s, the WPA rebuilt the adobe chapel in 1937. Much of the interior artifacts from the original chapel have been retained, including the tabernacle, the altar with its beautiful marbleized finish, some woodwork including pews and doors, and José Aguirre's tombstone is laid in the floor.
El Campo Santo Cemetary:
El Campo Santo cemetery has a long and unfortunate history. After the rise of New San Diego and the decline of Old Town, the cemetery was no longer maintained. Just two years after the last body was buried there, a streetcar line was built through the cemetery over some existing graves. Preservationists began their campaign in 1937 by restoring some of the gravemarkers and building a short wall around a small portion of the cemetery. At some point the streetcar line was converted into San Diego avenue, and paved over in the 1940s. The city was repeatedly petitioned to aknowlege that their were desecrated graves under the street. In 1993 the city sent a team with ground piercing radar to the sight and discovered at least 18 bodies buried beneath the street. The city first painted white crosses on the street to mark the graves, and eventually installed simple brass marker
The most widely seen apparitions in El Campo Santo cemetery are an Indian or Hispanic man in 19th century clothing, and a woman also dressed in period. The man is said to float above the ground. Other times it is said that cars which are parked upon the graves have their alarms sometimes go on, even though no one is in sight of the vehicle.
Heritage Park near San Diego State Historic Park in Old Town keeps the architectural history of San Diego alive. This 7.8-acre park is dedicated to the preservation of San Diego’s Victorian architecture. Examples of San Diego’s Victorian architecture including Italianate, Stick-Eastlake, Queen Anne and Classic Revival styles may be found at this Historic Park in San Diego. Heritage Park is owned by the County of San Diego. Heritage Park is open daily from sunrise to sunset.
La Casa de Estudillo:
The Casa de Estudillo was completed in 1829 by comander of the presidio of San Diego, Captain Jose Maria de Estudillo. He only lived in the house for a year before he died, and the house passed on to his son, Jose Antonio Estudillo. He served in many positions under Mexican and then Spanish rule. His family lived there until 1887. It was restored in 1910 and donated to the state. The house is currently operated as a museum.
Employees have reported seeing faces appear in mirrors when there was no one else in the room. There are reports of shadow apparitions, cold spots, and flashing red lights in some of the rooms, and the apparition of a monk has been seen near the room which served as a chapel. The ghosts of La Casa de Estudillo have also played music with no discrenable source.