A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, I am new to Bicycling, I am asking if somebody can guide me in what kind a bike I need to buy and not a to expensive bike new or used. Thanks
Patty
user 52811502
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Post #: 1
Hi, I have a medium size specialized sirrus pro road bike , Great condition $495.00.
Chris
user 2618416
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Post #: 16
Hi, I am new to Bicycling, I am asking if somebody can guide me in what kind a bike I need to buy and not a to expensive bike new or used. Thanks

What kind of bike to buy depends mostly on what kind of riding you're planning to do (off-road, road, casual neighborhood riding, commuting, grocery shopping, etc.) The key thing is that you get a bike that fits you properly, and a good bike shop can help you find the right size bike.

If you're buying a used bike, you'll need to do your homework in advance, and pay attention to what your body tells you while taking a test ride.

If you have cyclist friends who will let you try their bikes, you can learn a lot about proper fit by riding different bikes.
Matt
user 3156287
Hartford, CT
Post #: 47
Further to the fine points made by Chris, the final decision to buy should be based on comfort. A comfortable bike is a bike you'll ride. Also, regardless of your budget, buy frame, not bells and whistles. Its a common mistake these days to think you have to buy carbon fiber or other than steel. Steel is still a fine and forgiving material that will last for years and provide a comfortable and useful foundation for your to grow further in cycling.

You haven't shared your cycling focus or your age, so I'm a little bit going by your profile picture. If you are going to focus on road, you don't have to seek a "compact" bike profile. If you are focusing more toward off road in terms of trails, although personally I'm not a fan, Hybrids offer a lot of variety in terms of their being "crossed" more toward a trail/mountain bike or a trail/road bike. And of course there is always the Mountain bike, which is an exciting world unto its own, and requires careful consideration of all the varieties which are offered. Again, the regardless of the type of riding you do, the two major points remain: Buy comfort, Invest in Frame.

Best of luck. If you have specific questions or concerns, please let us hear further from you. And this is a great time of year to be looking for a bike!