Social Introverts Message Board › Getting the Word Out

Getting the Word Out

Michael
user 11404010
Des Moines, IA
It has been a week since the article came out in the Register.  In that time, the number of members of this group has increased from 24 to 55.  When the reporter, Mike, asked me why I agreed to the interview, I told him that when he contacted me, I felt like I had started something; and if his article led to more people like us joining the group and benefiting from it, that would be the thing that I started.  My reason for creating this group was not only to meet people who are my own brand of normal, but to make it easier for those people to meet others like them, to get out and be social in environments where they'll feel comfortable, among people who understand them.  Most importantly, I wanted to get the word out, because I didn't know.  Until so recently, I had no idea that I'm normal, that I'm a whole, unbroken person.  I'm sure it is not a revelation to all of you, but it was to me.  How the truth stayed hidden from me for so long is a mystery, but discovering it has changed everything.  I no longer make excuses for wanting to be alone at times, for loving home more than any venue.  At the same time, I feel like I have a choice not to be alone.  I'm not a perpetual outsider with a peculiar psychology.  I'm just like so many other people.  Look how many of you I found in only a week!

So I wanted to get the word out, because chances are there are others like me who haven't heard the great news, that they are normal, healthy and valuable, and that there are a lot more just like them who will be happy to know they are there.  And I want them to experience the relief and release that I found.

I strongly encourage you to post suggested meetups for any events you would like to attend and need companions for, or even if you just want to get together and talk with other introverts.  The few meetups I've posted so far are just to get the ball rolling.

Welcome.  Please feel free to write me any time and ask me any question.

Michael
A former member
Post #: 1
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. A couple months ago I heard about the book on NPR. That same week another designer on my team mentioned it in our team meeting. We started talking about the book and all of us were like, yeah! Introverts have a lot to give! We have good ideas! We're not dummies, we just need some time to think! Then yesterday one of my co-workers told me about the article in the Register so I read it and joined the group! Today I bought the book, Quiet, and am a little way into it.

I've known for some time I'm not like others, but I've also known I'm a good person and have a lot to share, and there's nothing so obscure or bizarre about me. Being different than most of the people around me isn't a bad thing, but it can be a lonely thing. And when that happens it's easy to turn it in on yourself. I've had a hard time putting my finger on why I struggle at times and this book is certainly shedding some light. I'm starting to feel more at ease.

So Michael, thanks again for starting the group and your posts!! In response to looking for ideas, I wonder if it might be helpful to have a meeting specifically just to meet other members and talk about thoughts we might have for future meetup events? Then in the back of my mind I wonder about any members who might have anxiety about large group events. Personally, I do not, but for those who might, I wonder what we can do to make it more likely they will join us in a large social gathering. Is it important to come together as a large group, then break out into smaller groups? But I'm not sure? I often go listen to live music and check out local artists at the galleries, so I will be happy to post something like that.

~Becca
Dave P.
user 53893112
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 4
It is great hearing of others who share the same struggles that I do and as Michael says to realize that I am not broken or defective. Our society looks to the quick thinking, quick responding, outgoing, eloquent and extroverted folks as the gold standard that the rest of us should envy, emulate and look up to. That is unfortunate but true. I am thankful for finding this site. I am also thankful to Michael for starting the site.
Michael
user 11404010
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 27
Thank you, Becca. It's amazing how that book is connecting and affecting people. I think the reporter's aim was to do do an article that featured Quiet and tie it in to something local, and so his research led him here. What he didn't know until the interview was that it was an article about that book that was the catalyst for my aforementioned revelation, and the subsequent creation of this group. Though a lot my quotes in the article were not verbatim, and some were misplaced in time and context (I haven't been to a club since long before the navy.), he didn't have me saying anything I didn't mean. I actually wrote an article about introversion before he did, and published it in the newsletter I edit at work.

Like you, I knew that I was a good person, with values and talents, but I also thought I was an outsider, a stranger misplaced in the universe. I thought I was a psychological mess, and I struggled to recall where my issues began. I know better now, and it's changing my perspective on so much, starting with who I am and what that means.

Please do post meetups for local music and art. I'm sure there are those among us who shun large groups. I tend to be one of them. But there's security in the company of those you trust, and I hope some such connections will be made here. It's very important that people share their ideas about the kind of meetups they want to attend. They don't have to appeal to everyone; they certainly don't have to be approved by me. Just raise the flag.