Bike meetups increased 6-fold over the past year and The Minuteman Trail was the most popular.
For this tour, be sure you are in decent shape, as we'll be averaging about 12 MPH, and talking too. This is also posted to other Meetup groups.
Here's a Minuteman trail map.
And here's a Google Map of the route.
Location, Location, Location
We meet at Davis Square's Seven Hills Park (right next to the Red Line T Holland Street entrance, by the bike racks). Bikes ride free on the T Sundays (but you still have to pay).
Parking in Somerville Sundays is unrestricted. The closest parking lot is the Buena Vista, located on Holland St. across from Orleans restaurant. The meters are free there Sundays. Or just park anywhere and bike over. Give yourself extra time, the one way streets can be confusing.
We depart at 3:15 sharp. If you're running late, we're really sorry, but we have to keep to the schedule, so come early if there's any question.
From there, we get to Arlington Center at the park under the big blue sign on the Mystic Street side at approximately 4PM, and wait up for the slower bikers while we socialize. Then we continue up the trail for a half hour to Bedford (official end of trail). There, we stop, wait, and socialize at the benches before turning around and heading home.
On the way back, time permitting, we reassemble at the Spy Pond picnic area to gaze at the landscape. Usually there are swans. In future we may make this into a picnic.
Important Safety Notes
We'll try to take care of each other but ultimately you are responsible for the condition of your bike and personal safety. If you drop out from the group, we assume we'll see you on the way back.
- Helmets: Required.
- Laws: Please familiarize yourself with the law regarding bicycles in MA. If you haven't looked at this, you may find some surprises here.
- Warning: At times there are sudden intersections with busy streets and cars. Be careful! Also, especially on a nice day, the trail can get crowded at times. Give pedestrians, other riders, dogs, etc., more room than you think you need to avoid collisions.
- Disclaimer: Ride at your own risk. Event host and other participants cannot be held responsible for safety.
- Maintenance: Please be aware of the condition of not just your physical body, but also your bike - particularly the tires and chain. If these are "flat" and "rusty," then you need to do some work before joining us. If you haven't had your bike tuned up this year, drop by a local bike shop for a quick once-over.
- The trail is mostly shaded, but remember to use suntan lotion and bring water.
If there is enough interest we may easily meetup at a post-bike social as we have done in the past, at Orleans, 65 Holland St., a popular bar and lounge with an outdoor patio a block away. There's no requirement to order food, and yes, they serve popular draft beers.
In the event of rain, we will reschedule to another Sunday. Please check back the morning of the event for a rain date. Check this site for hourly weather predictions.