Portland Social Club Message Board › New Meetup: WineTasting Benefit for FIDO at Cornell Wine Company

New Meetup: WineTasting Benefit for FIDO at Cornell Wine Company

Natanya
user 6897336
Beaverton, OR
Announcing a new Meetup for PDX Metro Social and Friendship Network!

What: WineTasting Benefit for FIDO at Cornell Wine Company

When: June 17, 2009 7:00 PM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Meetup Description: Another benefit, this one for doggies, but arranged a bit differently: owner Michael Beard of Cornell Wine Shop offers us a fab selection of wine pours for $10 (details below, you should read, he knows his stuff!) and I would also LOVE it if we could support FIDO by collecting some quality dried dog food! I find it easier not to take payment from you through Meetup, so instead you can just pay Michael for the tasting when you arrive (or you can opt out of the tasting and just purchase a glass, whatever you like.)

Sorry to give you only a week's notice, but let's try to rally behind this one! Thank you SO much to our big hearted member Chris for telling me about FIDO. They are a local charity focused on distributing dog food to people in financial need because, as creator of FIDO Joni puts it, "People shouldn't have to choose between going hungry and giving up the family dog." Joni's story and work are super inspiring! It's amazing how much of a difference one person can make. But... we can help too! Let's pull together and collect some dog food for hungry pups in families hit by the recession!! Read all about Joni and FIDO here:

http://www.latimes.co...­

To sum, from the LA Times article posted above:"In February, Taylor and her friends started a dog food bank in this Portland suburb, handing out a 30-day supply to anyone who showed up at their storage facility on the third Saturday of the month. No questions asked. They focused on dogs because there was already a local cat food bank." You can also learn more about FIDO at their website: http://www.fido-clack...­ You can see FIDO's">FIDO's donation item wishlist on their website. I cannot collect any cash contributions but please feel free to bring quality dry dog food and I will drive our collection over to FIDO. (The reason they need decent quality dry food is that the shelter dogs they support are under high stress and the nutrition is key in helping them bounce back.)

Here are the wine descriptions Michael provided me: $10 to taste all, and deals on bottles listed at bottom:

FELSNER 2007 LÖSSTERRASSEN GRÜNER VELTLINER, KREMSTAL, AUSTRIA
Grüner Veltliner is a white grape native to Austria. Some is now being grown in Oregon and Washington. Most Austrian ones tend to be $18-$26, but this is a lovely wine at a bargain price - $11.50

DOMAINE LA MANARINE 2008 CÔTES du RHÔNE ROSÉ, FRANCE
This is a complex, flavorful, rosé from France’s Rhône Valley. It is a blend of GRENACHE and MOURVÈDRE, the latter gives it an earthy quality - $17.75

HUGL WEINE 2007 ZWEIGELT, AUSTRIA
From Niederösterreich (lower Austria) comes this ZWEIGELT. The grape is a cross between St.-LAURENT (originally from Alsace) and BLAUFRÄNKISCH (found in Germany and Austria). I think it is like a fuller-bodied Beaujolais - $14.50 (1 litre bottle = $10.88 a standard bottle)

DOMAINE CHAPOTON 2007 CÔTES du RHÔNE ROUGE, FRANCE
From the sensational 2007 vintage in the Southern Rhône Valley comes this stunning bargain. This is the first vintage available in Oregon from an Estate dating back to 1665 under Louis XIV. The wine is a blend of GRENACHE, SYRAH, MOURVÈDRE and CARIGNAN - $10.50

CHÂTEAU BOUTISSE 2005 ST.-ÉMILION GRAND CRU, FRANCE
From Bordeaux’s fabulous 2005 comes a wine just beginning to show its stuff, and which will be tenable for at least 10 years. The winery’s tech sheet says the wine is 88% MERLOT, 11% CABERNET SAUVIGNON and 1% CABERNET FRANC. We originally sold this wine for $35.00, but the importer cut a deal with the Château and we can now offer it, while stocks last for $27.00 WAS GOOD VALUE, NOW FANTASTIC VALUE!

As before, we reserve the right to substitute similar wines should these wines become unavailable.

The tasting fee will be $10/per person as before.
On the night we will offer:
10% off any purchase*
15% off 6 or more bottles*
(this is an improvement for us over last November)
* does not apply to already discounted “wines-of-the-month” and one or two special wines.

THANK YOU MICHAEL :)

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­