This event was planned long before the ice storm, however, the storm reinforces the importance of Seva in the City in the winter months. Many people around Southern Ontario are dealing with issues that our homeless population deal with season wide.
With the holidays in full swing, the world is in very giving mood and some of the neediest people are recipients of ordinary people's generosity. I hope we can extend the spirit of generosity past the holidays with January's Seva Event.
The Pledge- bring one of the items requested below. Let me know in the comments section what your pledges are so i can track them.
1) Blankets- If you have blankets no longer used and are willing to donate them to the neediest in our city- please bring them. I have a handful of co workers and friends who have already made pledges. We should have sufficient amounts of blankets by gametime!
2) 5 Pairs of Gloves
3) Gently used Men's Boots
4) 10 Pairs of Socks
The Plan: Get Acquainted then walk approx 200 yards to the shelter (Maxwell Meighen Centre). They dont allow us to come inside so we would have to dispense our pledges outside. I think this is fantastic experience a) we experience the elements which the homeless have to live through b) we engage this inspiring population on their terms
1) I would like us to be there by 845 am and leave Tim's by 9:00 am so please help us by arriving on time.
2) You're free to bring other items as well, e.g. gently worn clothes, fruits, etc. However, if you bring food, I would like it to be nutrition rich.
3) Dress Appropriately for the weather!!!!
4) Pls let me know beforehand by updating your RSVP if you cannot attend so we're not waiting around for you.