Socrates Cafe Louisville Message Board › A Personal Discourse and Essay on Criticism and Critical Thinking

A Personal Discourse and Essay on Criticism and Critical Thinking

A former member
Post #: 334

CRITICAL THINKING TOOLS:
Memory|Associations| Patterns |Reason |Experience | Invention | Experimentation | Intuition

apologise for not be clear on my questions:

How do we work toward understanding how the “world” is without falling into absolutism?
Or
Into a world of illusion or worse delusion?
Or
A position of who really cares?

When i asked myself:
What is the best way to prove my case, create a rule, solve a problem, justify an idea, invent a hypothesis, or evaluate an argument presented to me?
How do we know things?
HOW DECIDE RELEVANCE or recognize bias.

Only the good
robert
PS:
Frank, the references provided are helpful for drilling down into the "cell-structure" of creative ingenuity.

I really enjoyed MIKE H's outline narrative for discussion:
There is not just one tool for effective thought- there is "Magic", "Wonder", and "Awe"as we mix and blend the use of the tools.
There is , for me, more fun in consciousness experience's of what is emerging and arising(i.e.what is being learned) than "truncated truth" that is driven by a persoanl impulse to be right.
Frank L.
user 9615384
Louisville, KY
Post #: 16
...How do we know things?... [Robert asks himself (emphasis added]

Again, for a good understanding of "how we know things" (and of the subtle but crucial difference between truth and knowledge of truth, and of why knowledge of truth is forever fallible), for starters give a thoughtful read of Karl Popper's book, OBJECTIVE KNOWLEDGE (that is the book I am holding in my avatar photo, and also I highly recommend Popper's CONJECTURES AND REFUTATIONS).