Bill
user 150676602
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
I’m still thinking about thinking….
There is thinking and there is THINKING. There may be "shallow thinking” and “deep thinking”, short-term thinking and long-term thinking. Learning a new task — brushing teeth, a manual-shift car — might involve thinking, but once a new task is learned, does using it require thinking, or is that simply accessing a stored “personal subroutine”? Does accessing any subroutine involve thinking, or is that just one element of our no-longer-thought-about personal “algorithm”? We just do it! Each day we are engaged in activities of daily living. Once we reach a certain age, most of every day involves calling up our subroutines. Is that thinking or do we simply turn on our personal “autopilot”, our algorithm? Do we change our routines occasionally? ever? Does changing them involve thinking? Are we on unthinking autopilot most of the time? Do we know what we really THINK about things that are important to us?…Do “Think Tanks” have departments concerned with avoiding living things while driving? I think we have just scratched the surface of this topic!
Keith
user 146162702
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
I too left contemplating on thinking. If anyone has recommendations on literature they've enjoyed that's shaped their point of view please do share.
Bill
user 150676602
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 2
That's such a broad question, but here is a start: Mindset, a book by Carol S. Dweck. It's an easy read. Available for download via the online borrowing resources of the Cuyahoga County Public Library (CCPL).
DI
user 71354212
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 2
Yes, a wonderful read! Like our brain's ability to change/adapt to our needs, I find Dweck's theories on "learning" mindset to be something I can look forward to and work towards.