Software for Renewable Energy - Bay Area Message Board › Data Analysis and Visualization Challenge

Data Analysis and Visualization Challenge

David M.
user 8805955
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Hey Party-goers!

At Thursday's SWRE meeting, I announced an exciting challenge which was related to our 2 most recent meetings which discussed data analysis and visualization.

Challenge: Build a data visualization based on the following data source. This visualization should show something interesting in the data which may not be immediately visible without the analysis or targeted visualization. You'll submit an image file to this SWRE forum post. I'll then take all submissions and construct a poll which will be used for judging. You don't need to show ALL of the data in your visualization, just find a trend or correlation you find to be interesting, have fun playing around and investigating, and try to answer a question via your visualization or build one which begs a follow-up question.

Prizes: The top two submissions (based on number of votes received) will each receive brand new pieces of SWRE schwag for free. This schwag will be a t-shirt, coffee mug, and sticker.

Data source: http://www.data.gov/c...­

About the data source: the data source chosen for this challenge is a data set from energy.data.gov. It describes each and every Natural Gas pipeline leak from 1984 through 2001. I believe that there are also some similar data sets which are more recent than 2001... you may use these in addition to the provided source.

Rules:

1.) The challenge begins today, Sunday August 12th and commences on Saturday August 25th, 2012.

2.) Judging will be carried out from Sunday August 26th through Saturday September 1st, 2012 and through a poll on our meetup.com site.

I'm trying to keep this all pretty simple... but this brevity may leave open some ambiguities. If you have any questions or comments, please respond to this forum post.

I can't wait to see what you guys all come up with! :)

Dave