Sonoma County Photography Group Message Board Photography Tips and Tricks › 100 tips from and to photographers....

100 tips from and to photographers....

Lee G.
user 61014612
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 29
It is a good conversation starter as some of them are far outside our box. I do like the one about the camera. I see far to many buy a camera so far outside their price range to impress or maybe they think the more it costs the better photos it will take that they are afraid to 'use' it.
Tom D.
user 40497812
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 14
I agree, a great conversation starter... if you want to "talk" about photography.
Paula, you asked which ones I didn't agree with... well, honestly, I didn't read the whole list. I just skimmed it (that must come from my dairy farm upbringing!?) But I have looked at the first ten and will give you my answer and a few thoughts...
1. Just because someone has an expensive camera doesn't mean that they're a good photographer. TRUE
2. Always shoot in RAW. Always. FALSE (even thought I do 99% of the time, doesn't mean everyone should)
3. Prime lenses help you learn to be a better photographer. FALSE (learning how optics work will teach you to be a better photographer - a zoom lens can )
4. Photo editing is an art in itself Hmmmm ... "art"??? (I think it's a skill that needs to be polished)
5. The rule of thirds works 99% of the time. FALSE (I use it often but I use 'center' composition, and the 'golden mean' - weight, balance, space... all need to work together)
6. Macro photography isn't for everybody. TRUE
7. UV filters work just as well as lens caps. FALSE (it works better - just keep it clean)
8. Go outside & shoot photos rather than spending hours a day on photography forums. TRUE!!!
9. Capture the beauty in the mundane and you have a winning photograph. TRUE ... K.I.S.S. works in photography too!
10. Film isn't better than digital. TRUE (there are pros and cons to both - I'm looking into getting 6x7cm film camera (my old RZ67) to shoot with again. I'll still be scanning the negs to digital - at least in the short term.)
And... number 42 caught my attention:
42. Find your style of photography and stick with it. FALSE (at least for me! I would get 'burnt out' if I did the same thing over and over again. I actually thrive on change, even if it takes time to happen. But for others, I know they do best at making this a 'true' statement... to each is own.)
So... just a few of my thoughts. Make your own list if you have that much time on your hands. I'd rather you made a list of 'things you wish to photograph' or 'places you'd like to photograph' and then GET OUT THERE AND START SHOOTING! :)
paula p.
Nbay001
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 32
Hi Tom,

Why do you agree with " Macro photography isn't for everybody". I didn't understand why Macro vs Landscape or Portrait or Street, etc. Why did the author point out Macro specifically?
Tom D.
user 40497812
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 15
Hi Paula (and everyone following this thread),
Great question. Please remember the author's point #100 - Make your own list.
In it's simplest description, photography is the art or practice of taking and processing photographs.
That being said, we all love photography for the ability to capture what we personally wish to capture. For some that might be hooking the camera to a telescope and photographing the heavens whereas for others it is hooking the camera to a microscope and capturing the atoms. For me, a 'close-up' is a headshot or the babies foot inside daddy's hand. I can appreciate good macro/micro photography but it is not my 'cup of tea'. So owning a great macro lens is low on my priority list. I also know that some people think of 'people' photography only from a candid or photojouralistic point of view. I love to pose people to look (hopefully) unposed and natural. I like to shoot both classical/traditional and contemporary portraits but know that my 'style' and my love for portraiture is not for everyone. But one thing remains constant, the science of photography... how different optics (lenses) will effect the outcome... how different light temperatures (kelvin) will alter our images... etc. etc.
So, I simply agreed with the fact that I personally am not into macro photography (at least at this point in my life). And I agree that we all have different likes and dislikes as to what we photograph. So it makes the sharing of photos after a "meetup" group outing very important. It lets people see how others see. I find that fascinating... I then have 'expressions' that work great in an illustrative style photo... my cup of tea.
Hope this helped. :)
Carla W.
user 57172052
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 1
Love #36!
Jak W.
user 13680800
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 25
Good discussion, and I agree with many, disagree with some. But the one thing I think is missing, is almost always missing from the dialogue on photography, is something like this...
If you don't know what you are trying to say with your photos, no amount of gear or processing can help.
Every portfolio review/critique should begin with the question "What is the photographer's goal/statement?"