Sonoma County Photography Group Message Board Unofficial Meetup Opportunities › Comet and Crescent Moon Shoot on 3/12 or 3/13 - Share Any Location Ideas?

Comet and Crescent Moon Shoot on 3/12 or 3/13 - Share Any Location Ideas?

Robert
user 3970736
Oakland, CA
Post #: 7
Anyone interested in getting together for an unofficial shoot of a Comet and the Crescent Moon? Best timing will be from about an hour before to an hour after sunset at 7:14 pm (say 6 pm to 8 pm on either of Tues 3/12 or Wed 3/13).

1st the Facts - The PanSTARR Comet is passing by and if it doesn't fizzle out it will be close to the new crescent moon on 3/12 and 3/13. It will be viewable low on the horizon in the west around sunset and the moon will also be setting about an hour later.

Location Ideas - I'm looking for location ideas with a good blue light / night landscape feature that can be shot at 200 mm focal length. This will allow maximum zoom on the comet and moon while having foreground interest of the landscape and also provides perspective. Rodeo Beach's rock piles in Marin Headlands comes to mind as one idea but may not be able to use the full 200 mm focal length. The key to the location is an unobstructed view of the lower horizon. Anyone share a good location idea for this???

Please contact me if you are interested or have questions. Also if you shoot this wherever you are please share your pictures and settings of your capture!
Harvey A.
HarveyA
Novato, CA
Post #: 42
Hey Robert, how low on the horizon for those two days?
Grant K.
Solano
Fairfield, CA
Post #: 517
I have done some star shots over in the Napa Valley. The place we went was up on Henry Road and believe me, it was plenty dark. Very minimal light pollution from urban areas.

Let me know and I may join you.

Grant
Paul F.
Paul_Freitas
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 48
I would certainly be interested in joining anyone to shoot this on 3/13 (Wednesday). My topographical knowledge is sorely lacking; so I can't really suggest a location. Maybe somewhere near Bodega Bay ?
Robert
user 3970736
Oakland, CA
Post #: 8
Hey Robert, how low on the horizon for those two days?

On 3/12 the moon will be aprox 13 degrees above the horizon and 268 degrees of north (ie. almost due west) on a compass, noting that you must correct for the 14.7 degrees from magnetic north a compass shows. On 3/13 the moonset is an hour later so it will be aprox 24 degrees above the horizon and 263 degrees of north.

In Normal People Terms, Look due west just above the horizon for the sliver of the crescent moon. The comet will be small and should be slightly above and to the left. Further note that with the moon being a crescent sliver I'm hoping it will not be blown out like the moon normally gets. No guarantees as I'm not an astronomer. Best of luck with capturing it.
Suzanne G. C.
user 12086449
Napa, CA
Post #: 31
This sounds great. I love the challenge of astrophotography.

The location in Napa that Grant mentioned is very dark, but there are sizable hills in the area. It does offer very nice foregrounds...vineyards in the hills w/o fences. I will have to take a ride out there to see what the western horizon looks like. I know from riding my bike out there during the day that on a clear day you can see the bay. That should be looking west, but I will double-check it.

Another location that has a wide open view to the west is Hawk's Hill in the Marin Headlands area. My meetup group, Napa Valley Photography Meetup, did a full moon meetup there this past January. That place offers a great view of the ocean. The only down side is that there are lots of city lights eliminating all the way from north to south.

I don't understand your explanation for locating the exact spot. I would very much like to have this clarified. Would you mind emailing me? I will email you back my cell number. THANKS!

Suzanne
SALLY
user 71845422
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 2
Anyone interested in getting together for an unofficial shoot of a Comet and the Crescent Moon? Best timing will be from about an hour before to an hour after sunset at 7:14 pm (say 6 pm to 8 pm on either of Tues 3/12 or Wed 3/13).

1st the Facts - The PanSTARR Comet is passing by and if it doesn't fizzle out it will be close to the new crescent moon on 3/12 and 3/13. It will be viewable low on the horizon in the west around sunset and the moon will also be setting about an hour later.

Location Ideas - I'm looking for location ideas with a good blue light / night landscape feature that can be shot at 200 mm focal length. This will allow maximum zoom on the comet and moon while having foreground interest of the landscape and also provides perspective. Rodeo Beach's rock piles in Marin Headlands comes to mind as one idea but may not be able to use the full 200 mm focal length. The key to the location is an unobstructed view of the lower horizon. Anyone share a good location idea for this???

Please contact me if you are interested or have questions. Also if you shoot this wherever you are please share your pictures and settings of your capture!

Hi Robert, I shot Hale Bopp in 1997 for about 3 nights in a row. I had a dead large sycamore tree in the foreground that I used a flash fill on during several long exposures for Hale Bopp. I used an f stop of 16 and 22 with excellent results. I think foregrounds are important and adds all lot more interest to
a photograph. Count me in for this very special event.
Thanks for the tip!

Sally

SALLY
user 71845422
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 3
Hi again,

I also forgot to mention that Slide Mt. in the Sierra's was also in the background.

Keep me posted.

Sally
Robert
user 3970736
Oakland, CA
Post #: 9
So the weather, clouds, for Tuesday and Wednesday could effect your shooting of the comet.

Here is more info with an illustration of what it could look like and to help you find it in the sky.
http://www.weather.co...­

I'm open to getting together with anyone who is interested. I was initially thinking of shooting it at the rocks at Rodeo Beach in the Marin Headlands (a reverse commute direction and relatively low tide). It's good for normal sunset images and then with the comet and moon. I'm also flexible to other locations where there is a good horizon with a tree for a nice silhouette image.
Suzanne G. C.
user 12086449
Napa, CA
Post #: 33
I rode out to the vineyard location that I mentioned in any earlier message. Nothing to the west ever opened up.
Does Rodeo Beach offer interesting low tide pools? I'd join you at the Rodeo Beach location on the evening of the 13th.