add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Sonoma County Photography Group Message Board Photography Tips and Tricks › Call for a Moratorium on Shooting (Gun Control and the Photographic Culture)

Call for a Moratorium on Shooting (Gun Control and the Photographic Culture)

Jak W.
user 13680800
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 32
Okay, not exactly a photo trick but this seemed like the best place to post this in hopes of getting some dialog going. I'm curious how other photographers view the subject...

"As the debate carries on about gun control and the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, one doesn’t have to take sides to acknowledge the American culture is wild about firearms. That armed enthusiasm has permeated the culture of photography as well, and I think it is time to consider what that costs us creatively."­
Jak W.
user 13680800
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 34
oops, wrong link. Here it is­
Paul F.
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 49
A great read Jak. I often find photography frightening especially when photographing people. There is the fear of rejection and of intruding into someone else's space ( who usually don't ask to be photographed). Shooting in a group like ours makes it easier. However the nervous tension of going out on a shoot and not knowing if I'll come back with something good or if it will all be a bust is intoxicating !
Michael N.
user 3389791
Petaluma, CA
Post #: 15
Thanks Jak. Good job on the provocative blog post and inclusion of the supporting video parody at:­

While the content and interactive coaching on your online training course will certainly wet the appetite of aspiring photographers, you may want to compare your prices for your 9 week Receptive Photography (TM) online course offered by Scott Kelby, Gerry Ghionis, Chase Jarviis ( and others in our industry.

Good luck, Michael
Jak W.
user 13680800
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 36
Thanks Michael, I appreciate the input. I have taken a number of online courses and did my research. The difference is that I will be interacting with the participants, coaching them along personally, reviewing their work; not just handing out information. The price will go up, not down.
Lee G.
user 61014612
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 32
Great work. Dont forget the follow up;
'The making of...' Click here