This hike is a delight! 8 miles and 1100 feet.
We will meander along Dias ridge for awhile then travel through grassy ranch land down to Muir beach where we will wander out to admire the crashing waves. After appreciating the beach for a few minutes we will then head back inland to the charming Pelican Inn to enjoy our picnic lunches on the lawn of Pelican Inn where those who wish to indulge in a pint of icy cold beer can go into the little quaint pub to get one to bring out on the lawn. We always need to count on a few takers for the beer so they will allow us to use their beautifully maintained front area and bathrooms. Hopefully we'll have a few people that will "step up to the plate" and help us out! :)
After enjoying our lunch and cold refreshments we will meander our way back up the ridge on a moderate climb through a bay filled canyon where we continue on up through the grasslands at the top. Monarch butterflies love this area during certain times of the year and the return is filled with wildflowers in the spring.
From Hwy 101 near Sausalito W on Hwy 1. From Hwy 1 take a right on Panorama hwy like you were headed to Muir woods or Pantoll ranger station BUT....this is tricky because you are only on Panorama for 0.1 and then you park on the side of the road. There is a pullout. Actually there are quite a few. Park in the first or 2nd dirt pullout ideally. If these are full you'll need to drive up to the next one and walk down to the trailhead on your right as you walk back down the road.
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments or cancellations. This is especially important if there are any weather (heat or rain) issues.
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. A steady pace and we just keep going! If you are a fast hiker, you will be asked to periodically wait for the group. If you are finding that you are lagging behind, you will be asked to focus your energy on keeping up the best you can ...forgoing picture taking, dancing and scat identification. We also move along as soon as all lagging members are in close visual sight. Please make sure this is something you will enjoy!
- Give yourself time to find the trail head or car pool meeting spot so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we leave. It would be disappointing to miss due to late arrival. We leave the car pool sites on time and we START hiking at the starting time!!!
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
- Duration: 4 hours
- Facilities: at Pelican Inn
- Dogs?: None allowed
- Bring plenty of water. More than one bottle is usually a good idea.
- Dress in layers. This hike could be hot.
- Bring a snack. We'll have a snack outside Pelican Inn while we sip on our COLD beverages!
- Always try to car-pool if you can. Santa Rosa car pool is at Coddingtown Library parking lot leaving at 8:30. Lucky's at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Meet closest to Payran to leave by 8:55. If there is a noted car pool that is full or doesn’t work for you it would be wonderful if posted your own on the hike’s comments spot. If you are a rider than make sure to give your driver gas money. The general meetup guideline is …1 driving hour and under $5 and over 1 hour driving $8. Please show appreciation to your driver..otherwise you might find yourself driving the next time.
See you on the trail!