This hike is a moderate hike of 8.4 miles with an elevation gain of 1300 feet.
This is supposed to be "THE" trail for Mt. Tam history lovers. We will see the former location of the Crookedest Railroad in the World and the gravity car railroad. We will visit the Mountain Theater, East Summit and have at snack at the top! For those of you that have never made it to the summit of Mt Tam this is the way to go! IT's the easiest route that we have found.
A brochure for Mt. Tam complete with a trail map (you'll need to zoom in) can be found at:
If you like to see where we are going ...this is our route:
We start off from Pantoll Ranger Station on the Matt Davis Trail..we take a left to head up the Nora trail to Mountain Home Inn where we catch the Old Railroad Grade to the summit. We go up to the top, come back down and then redo the Old Railroad Grade back to West Point Inn and head back to the cars via Rock Spring to Old Mine.
Directions to the Pantoll Ranger Station:
From Hwy 101 take the Mill Valley/Stinson Beach/Hwy 1 exit and continue straight for one mile to a stoplight at Shoreline Hwy (Hwy 1), Turn left on Shoreline and drive 2.5 miles, then turn right on Panoramic Hwy. Drive 9/10ths of a mile until you reach an intersection where you can go left, straight or right. Take the middle road continuing on Panoramic Hwy for 4.3 miles more to the Pantoll Ranger Station on your left.
Please read and be familiar with the guidelines of the group as listed below. It’s important before you come on a Wanderer hike that you agree and are prepared with the following.
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. A steady pace and we just keep going! If you are in the lead you will end up waiting at trail junctions. If you are in the back you will be asked to do your best to keep up with the group and at waiting points the group may move on as soon as you are within sight. Our pace averages 2.5mph. We do get separated from time to time as everyone walks their own pace but please bear in mind that you will need to be able to stay within several minutes of the group. If you are unable to keep up with the group you will be given a map so you can take pleasure in the trail at your own pace on your own. Make sure this is something you are prepared for and would enjoy.
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. Slow and steady and we just keep going!
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments. This is especially important if there are any weather issues. Cancellations due to weather will be posted by 10pm the previous evening.
- Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
- Duration: 4-5 hours
- Facilities: at the trail head
- Dogs?: None allowed on trail unfortunately
- Bring plenty of water. More than one bottle is usually a good idea.
- Dress in layers. The hike starts off cool but you will warm up.
- Bring a lunch for the top!
- Always try to car-pool if you can. If there is a noted car pool that is full or doesn’t work for you it would be wonderful if posted your own on the hike’s comments spot. And car poolers if you are riding with someone other than your leader please chip in for gas and the use of their car.
- Bring your smile and great attitude!
See you on the trail!
FOR car pools ...we have a change. Please document your car pool info in your RSVP comments NOT the general comments below. That will eliminate many msgs to the hike attendees. Car pool etiquette- Come prepared to drive, be aware that there may be no others wanting to car pool from your selected location or there might be a lot of people and everyone might want to ride. We determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work!
Then PLEASE if possible try to use the two locations below. The more locations we have the less effective we are and it's so much more complicated. Exceptions would be if you are not close to either location.
Car pool locations:
Coddingtown Library parking lot suggested leave at 8:30
Petaluma-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 8:55
General room of thumb...$5 one hour or less to trailhead $8 over one hour to trailhead Please insist your driver accept the money. It's to cover more than gas money...it's the wear and tear on the vehicle. We like to take care of our drivers!