A new exploration! Well and you know what that means....An exploration hike means that I haven’t done this hike before and that we will be following a map. An exploration hike can hold delightful surprises and as the leader I reserve the right to head off in the wrong direction, calculate the mileage wrong, misjudge the altitude gain and expect everyone to have a fantastic time! If you aren’t the adventurous type that you might want to wait until this hike is posted as an official hike! :)
We plan to head down Kent Pump Rd vearing right on Old Vee Rd for a climb of 800 ft. up to our right on to Oat Hill Rd. From Oat Hill Rd. we will take Little Carson Trail to Carson Falls and then back to Kent Pump Trail where we head out a spur to Kent lake for lunch. Our return is all on the beautiful Kent Pump Trail.
A nice write up on the area can be found at:
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. A steady pace and we just keep going! If you are in the lead you will end up waiting at trail junctions. If you are in the back you will be asked to do your best to keep up with the group and at waiting points the group may move on as soon as you are within sight. Our pace averages 2.5mph. We do get separated from time to time as everyone walks their own pace but please bear in mind that you will need to be able to stay within a reasonable distance from the group. Make sure this is something you are prepared for and would enjoy
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments to the hike details. Cancellations or any adjustments will be posted by 10pm the previous evening.
- RSVP etiquette must be followed. Only RSVP when you can commit to attend. Once you have RSVP'd if you have an emergency that means you have to cancel please change your RSVP by 5pm the prior day. This will avoid a "no-show" reflecting on your participation history. Over 3 "no-shows" might mean we have to excuse you from the group. We try very hard to respect each other in this group.
- Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival. You will be left behind if you are not ready to head out at the hike start time.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
- Duration: 6 hours
- Facilities: None
- Dogs?: Yes
- Bring plenty of water. This is a liter hike minimum.
- Dress in layers. The hike starts off cool but rapidly warms up.
- Bring a lunch. At the 6.5 mile point we will have lunch by Kent Lake
- Bring your smile and great attitude! We are ALL about trail enjoyment while respecting everyone’s time!
Car pool etiquette- First and foremost....come prepared to drive. Yes.....I know.....a lot of you are trying to car pool because you don't want to or can't drive for whatever reason. I don't want you to be disappointed, so if you can't drive please be aware that you might not be able to join the hike. There is always that risk if you are counting on others to be your transportation. There may be no others wanting to car pool from your selected location or there might be a lot of people and everyone might want to ride. You might arrive late, be in the wrong spot or get stopped by a swarm of your paparazzi...come prepared to drive to the trail head if you want to hike! If we have a gang wanting to ride we determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work! General rule of thumb for riders...$5 one hour or less to trailhead $8 over one hour to trailhead Please insist your driver accept the money. It's to cover more than gas money...it's the wear and tear on the vehicle. We like to take care of our drivers!Then PLEASE if possible try to use the two locations below. The more locations we have the less effective we are and it's so much more complicated. Exceptions would be if you are not close to either location.
Car pool locations:
SANTA ROSA: Coddingtown Mall parking lot in front of the Coddingtown library to leave by 8:30
PETALUMA-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 8:50
Directions: Drive up Sir Francis Drake Blvd. until you hit downtown Fairfax. Turn onto Center Ave and to your left, you will see Fairfax Bolinas Rd. Go on the road until you reach Alpine Dam which is about 20-30 minutes from downtown Fairfax. At Alpine Dam, there are some parking spots and a fire road going into the canyon. Park in the parking spots there and the fire road will be our hike