We are celebrating not only our April birthdays but the 2nd anniversary of the Wanderers! I really hope that you can all make it and help me celebrate this wonderful group of people that have found their way home to The Wanderers!
We will have two versions of the hike...5 miles or the full 8 miles. The short hike peeps will be responsible for getting things set up and the grills going! :)
I will have my special occasion STRAWBERRY Daiquiri jello shots that we can all slurp down in honor of Kathy, Stephanie, Kathie, Colleen, David, Richard, Andy Evans, Andy Smith, Rosemary, Laura, Larry, Marinoly, Christy, Marcelyn, Elaine, Yannick, and any other hike helpers that make this group so spectacular !! I love you guys....you are the best! Yippee!!!!!
This hike is about 8 miles with an elevation gain of 1900ft. BUTTTT.....We also will have the 5 mile version available too!! Both are Moderate - Strenuous. Both groups will head out at the same time but the short version people will veer off when we hit the meadow to get down to the picnic area to get the tables set up and the grills going....don't worry we won't pop open the champagne until we all are there! Both hikes start off with a great climb to the ridge through the forest....immediate warmup on Pool Ridge! We'll continue to climb our way along the ridge to a grassy meadow with a view when the weather cooperates! The short group will head on down at that point and the others will continue out to Bull Frog Pond. Both groups of hikers will have an amazing final mile through the old growth redwoods. As you can tell, this hike has a few relentless hills that keep going on up but it is well worth the huffs and the puffs to get up there. You will travel through MAGNIFICENT red woods forest and drop dead forest scenery. If you haven't done this hike...this one is a must do. You will find yourself doing this hike time and time again, especially if you stick with The Wanderers! I promise you, you won't be disappointed! To enjoy this hike you should be able to comfortably walk uphill at a steady pace for an extended period and maneuver some steep grades down.
It's that time...time to celebrate April birthdays PLUS...IT'S THE WANDERER'S 2ND BIRTHDAY!!!! PLEASE COME HELP US CELEBRATE!! I'd like to request that when you RSVP you then look for the conversation about food items and add a reply indicating what type of item (salad, entree, dessert...etc) you are going to bring. We also need birthday gifts for our birthday celebrants. Please bring a outdoor oriented wrapped gift if you haven't contributed to the gift bag lately. Something you would like to receive yourself as a gift would be great! I'd like those of you that haven't brought a bottle of wine lately to pitch in and bring a nice bottle of wine. It's hard to see the same (WONDERFUL) people providing the wine time after time when the rest of us are having such a good time drinking it. We will complete the hike, return to our cars and consolidate into as few cars as possible to drive into the picnic spot. Bring your State Park passes so we can avoid the $8 fee as we will be driving into the park after the hike to the picnic area!
To get to the trail head:
From downtown Guerneville on Main St. (Highway 116), drive 2.3 miles north on Armstrong Woods Road to the visitor center on the right, just before the state park entrance station. Park in the large lot on the right by the visitor center.
Please read and be familiar with the guidelines of the group as listed below. It’s important before you come on a Wanderer hike that you agree and are prepared with the following.
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. A steady pace and we just keep going! If you are in the lead you will end up waiting at trail junctions. If you are in the back you will be asked to do your best to keep up with the group and at waiting points the group may move on as soon as you are within sight. Our pace averages 2.5mph. We do get separated from time to time as everyone walks their own pace but please bear in mind that you will need to be able to stay within a reasonable distance from the group. Make sure this is something you are prepared for and would enjoy
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments to the hike details. Cancellations or any adjustments will be posted by 10pm the previous evening.
- RSVP etiquette must be followed. Only RSVP when you can commit to attend. Once you have RSVP'd if you have an emergency that means you have to cancel please change your RSVP by 5pm the prior day. This will avoid a "no-show" reflecting on your participation history. Over 3 "no-shows" might mean we have to excuse you from the group. We try very hard to respect each other in this group.
- Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival. You will be left behind if you are not ready to head out at the hike start time.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
- Duration: 5 hours
- Facilities: at trail head and at picnic spot
- Dogs?: none allowed on the trails
- Bring plenty of water. More than one bottle is usually a good idea.
- Dress in layers. The hike starts off cool but rapidly warms up.
- Bring a snack. Because it's a birthday bash we are not having a lunch stop but you might want something easy to snack on while you walk.
- Bring your smile and great attitude! We are ALL about trail enjoyment while respecting everyone’s time!
See you on the trail!
Car pool etiquette- First and foremost....come prepared to drive. Yes.....I know.....a lot of you are trying to car pool because you don't want to or can't drive for whatever reason. I don't want you to be disappointed, so if you can't drive please be aware that you might not be able to join the hike. There is always that risk if you are counting on others to be your transportation. There may be no others wanting to car pool from your selected location or there might be a lot of people and everyone might want to ride. You might arrive late, be in the wrong spot or get stopped by a swarm of your paparazzi...come prepared to drive to the trail head if you want to hike! If we have a gang wanting to ride we determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work! General rule of thumb for riders...$5 one hour or less to trailhead $8 over one hour to trailhead Please insist your driver accept the money. It's to cover more than gas money...it's the wear and tear on the vehicle. We like to take care of our drivers!Then PLEASE if possible try to use the two locations below. The more locations we have the less effective we are and it's so much more complicated. Exceptions would be if you are not close to either location.
Car pool locations:
WINDSOR:Safeway lot across from (the now closed) Dennys, depart 8:15
SANTA ROSA: Coddingtown Mall parking lot in front of the Coddingtown library to leave by 8
PETALUMA-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 8