According to the Old Farmer's Almanac, July's full moon is known as the "Full Buck Moon" because the bucks start to grow their new antlers this month. In any case, this should be a marvelous night to visit the top of Old Baldy at the Land Trust's Wildlake Ranch. So let's do it! We will depart from the corner of Deer Park Road and the Silverado Trail at 5:00 pm and convoy up to Wildlake Ranch, where we'll park at Deer Camp (next to Wild Lake.) From there it will be about a three mile hike UP to the fabulous picnic tables at Flat Top and some of the best views in the Napa Valley. (Old Baldy is nearby.)
Bring your dinner and/or something to share. We'll head back the same way we came, but in the moonlight. Because of the tree cover, you will need a head lamp for the last mile and a half. We'll be on a well-maintained fire road the whole way, but it's a steady climb up to get to Baldy and we will maintain the standard Wanderer's brisk pace both coming and going.
Dress in layers (it might be chilly coming back) and don't forget your cameras. I'm thinking the lake in moonlight will be beautiful.
Please do not RSVP unless you are sure you can make it. We understand that emergencies come up and you may need to change your RSVP, but lately we have had as many as 1/3 of the "Yes" RSVP-ers drop out the day before the hike! This is unfair to those that would like to join us but may be put off by the long waiting list, only to find out they could have joined us after-all. If you must change your RSVP, please do so by 5pm the evening before so others can make plans.
For the time being I can only take 5 people on this hike. But if I get permission from the Land Trust to take more I can open it up. So please, put yourself on the waiting list if the hike is full.
Car pool etiquette- First and foremost....come prepared to drive. Yes.....I know.....a lot of you are trying to car pool because you don't want to or can't drive for what ever reason. I don't want you to be disappointed, so if you can't drive please be aware that you might not be able to join the hike. There is always that risk if you are counting on others to be your transportation. There may be no others wanting to car pool from your selected location or there might be a lot of people and everyone might want to ride. We determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work!
Then PLEASE if possible try to use the locations below. The more locations we have the less effective we are and it's so much more complicated. Exceptions would be if you are not close to either location.
Car pool locations:
SANTA ROSA: Caltrans Park & Ride lot adjacent to the Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial building. We gather by the Airporter pick up point to leave by 4:00
PETALUMA-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 4:00 pm
HEALDSBURG: Big John’s supermarket (1345 Healdsburg Ave) parking lot to leave by 3:45
- Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival. If you do arrive late and are familiar with the trail, feel free to head on up after us. Chances are you will come upon us soon!
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes that are well broken in.
- Bring plenty of water. More than one bottle PLEASE!
- Dress in layers. It'll probably be pretty warm as we head out but could get cool rapidly once the sun goes down.
- Bring dinner! There's a lovely spot on top of Old Baldy to enjoy a meal while we wait for the stars to align.....
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments.
- Bring your smile and great attitude! Once again....this is not about finishing the hike in record time...it's about enjoying ourselves and the outdoors!
- DON'T FORGET YOUR SWIMSUIT & BEACH TOWEL.
See you on the trail!