Today is the day we do Chickenshack Fireroad! We have had the "gazelles" of the group do it several times but we have never done it as a regular Wanderer hike. Today is the day. We will go up...We will go down! We will travel on a roller coast route on Big Rock Ridge Fireroad until it reaches the main ridge at 3 miles and 1,400' elevation. To get to the main summit towers (1,887') we will continue to the right and head northwest on the Big Rock Ridge Fireroad over 2 main highpoints another 2 1/4 miles. We will have great views but will be very exposed. Be prepared!
The full route to the summit towers is approximately 10.5 miles with about 2,500' gain round trip.
Car pool locations:
WINDSOR: Safeway lot across from (the now closed) Dennys, depart at 7
SANTA ROSA: Coddingtown Mall parking lot in front of the Coddingtown library to leave by 7:10
PETALUMA: Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 7:25
Please read and be familiar with the guidelines of the group as listed below. It’s important before you come on a Wanderer hike that you agree and are prepared with the following.
• We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. A steady pace and we just keep going! If you are in the lead you will end up waiting at trail junctions. If you are in the back you will be asked to do your best to keep up with the group and at waiting points the group may move on as soon as you are within sight. Our pace averages 2.5mph. We do get separated from time to time as everyone walks their own pace but please bear in mind that you will need to be able to stay within a reasonable distance from the group. Make sure this is something you are prepared for and would enjoy
• Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments to the hike details. Cancellations or any adjustments will be posted by 10pm the previous evening.
• TO BRING: YOU! glorious hiker person you – dying to hit the trails and laugh, talk, sweat and enjoy in a group of like minded Wanderers… Oh yeah, and you should always bring your hiking safety essentials, layered clothing, water and food appropriate to the outing as mentioned below.
• RSVP etiquette must be followed. Only RSVP when you can commit to attend. Once you have RSVP'd if you have an emergency that means you have to cancel please change your RSVP by 5pm the prior day. This will avoid a "no-show" reflecting on your participation history. Over 3 "no-shows" might mean we have to excuse you from the group. We try very hard to respect each other in this group.
• Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival. You will be left behind if you are not ready to head out at the hike start time.
• Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
• Duration: 5-6 hours
• Facilities: none
• Dogs?: none allowed due to the grueling nature of the hike
• Bring plenty of water. You will need a minimum of 2 liters. Do not come with less
• Dress in layers. The hike starts off cool but rapidly warms up.
• Bring a snack. We always have a break at a scenic spot about half way.
• Bring your smile and great attitude! We are ALL about trail enjoyment while respecting everyone’s time!
See you on the trail!
From Hwy. 101 between the Marinwood and Ignacio exits take the Alameda Del Prado/Nave Dr. exit over to the west side just south of Burger King. Park along the street of Clay Ct.. The route starts on the hillside going up to the west.