Explore the San Francisco Presidio. This hike will cover a range of trails: urban to forested, waterfront to high ridges. Overall, the hike is approx. 7.5 miles, with over 1,000 feet in elevation gain over several shorter climbs.
Starting from the Crissy Field - East Beach, the hike heads past the
- Palace of Fine Arts
- The arduous Lyon Steps
- Down Lovers Lane (dating from 1776)
- Across the Main Post
- Ecology Trail to Inspiration Point with views of Alcatraz and the bay
- A trek along the Bay Area Ridge Trail through eucalyptus
- Immigrant Point with views for Point Bonita and the Marin Headlands
- Along the Batteries and Bluffs Trail to
- The GG Bridge viewpoint at the toll plaza
- Ending on Crissy Field and a nice oceanside stroll with City Views
Trail Conditions: While most of the hike is on dirt pathways, a portion of the hike (2-3 miles) is on concrete or asphalt. Some of the trail sections run along roadways, as well. Other than a bit on the Bluff trail, the dirt pathways are relatively smooth with secure footing – eg., not rocky, such that heavy hiking boots are not necessary (tennis shoes may be fine, based on your own hiking preferences).
Lunch: If the weather is calm (foggy or not), we will have a lunch break after our last climb, at the Golden Gate Overview. If the fog is howling in, we may wait until we are back down to the waterfront along Crissy Field, where we may find a bit of shelter.
Meeting, Parking: We will meet in front of the Crissy Field Center (pictured), where you will see a set of four vertical windmills (not the usual type). There is ample parking at the East Beach parking lot, just off Mason Street. Parking is free.
Directions: Due to construction, things have changed a bit. After going through the GG Bridge toll plaza, stay left, following signs for the Marina/Lombard/101. At the first traffic light, take a left to Marina Blvd. And the next light, where you would want to take a left hand (nearly u-turn) onto Mason, you will find No Left Turn. Continue along Marina. I suggest you take a right on to Broderick, then go around the block in a CCW fashion, taking a left on to Jefferson, a left on to Divisidero, where upon, at a 3-way stop, you will be able to take a left on to Marina going west. On Marina, stay in the right lane… going straight, rather than curving left, Marina becomes Mason. A 100 yards or so past the stop sign, you will take a left into East Beach parking area (the roadway to the parking area rather looks like not much more than a bike path).
Golden Gate Bridge Toll: There are no toll takers on the Golden Gate Bridge. While a Fast Pass is the easiest way to take care of your bridge toll, there are other mechanisms including going online and prepaying, registering a payment to your license plate number. Remember, if you are in a Car Pool, everyone should chip in to cover gas, the bridge toll, and a bit more to cover wear and tear. As a base-line, consider round trip gas and toll from Santa Rosa to the Presidio runs about $25-$30 for a typical car these days. FYI, there are no reduced bridge toll rates for carpools on the weekend.
Car pool locations:
SANTA ROSA: Coddingtown Mall parking lot in front of the Coddingtown library to leave by 8:25
PETALUMA-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 8:45
WINDSOR-Office Depot parking lot (6400 Hembree Ln #100 Windsor) to leave by 8:15
· We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. A steady pace and we just keep going! If you are in the lead you will end up waiting at trail junctions. If you are in the back you will be asked to do your best to keep up with the group. At waiting points the group may move on as soon as you are within sight. Our pace averages 2.5mph. We do get separated from time to time as everyone walks their own pace but please bear in mind that you will need to be able to stay within a reasonable distance of the group. Make sure this is something you are prepared for and would enjoy.
· Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments to the hike details. Cancellations or any adjustments will be posted by 10pm the previous evening.
· RSVP etiquette must be followed. Only RSVP when you can commit to attend. Once you have RSVP'd if you have an emergency that means you have to cancel please change your RSVP by 5pm the prior day.
· Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival. You will be left behind if you are not ready to head out at the hike start time.
· Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
· Duration: approximately 4 hours
· Facilities: at trail head
· Bring plenty of water. More than one bottle is usually a good idea.
· Dress in layers. It may start out foggy and cold, stay foggy and cold, or warm up. You just don’t know.
· Bring your smile and great attitude! We are ALL about trail enjoyment while respecting everyone’s time!
See you on the trail!
CARPOOLS - Please "Reply" to the appropriate section.