DESCRIPTION: Have you ever wanted to circumvent Mt Tam? We will go all the way around on a combination of trails and fire roads, including a few that aren't even on the maps anymore! This should be a wonderful hike with all the rain we have received!
NOTE: This hike is only for fit experienced hikers. There are several very steep and possibly muddy section's of trail or fire-road both uphill and downhill. You may want to bring some poles for this hike.
An easy way to know if you would enjoy this hike is if you are able to say yes to the following:
• I have been hiking 10+ miles in the last couple of weeks.
• I have been hiking trails with an altitude gain of over 1000 feet regularly and consistently in the past few months.
• I consider myself an experienced and fit hiker and can navigate rough terrain while maintaining a fast pace.
Duration: 7-8 hours
Distance: 14 miles
Elevation gain: 1800 ft
Water: At least 3 liters
Dress in layers. There is a good chance this will be hot.
Bring a lunch!
DIRECTIONS TO TRAIL HEAD:
Take Highway 101 to the Central San Rafael exit. Turn left on Third Street. Stay on Third. It will turn into Sir Francis Drake Blvd.Stay on Sir Francis Drake until you get to the Fairfax town limits. Turn left immediately after the gas station at Pacheco Avenue then turn right immediately on Broadway. In one block, turn left on Bolinas Rd. Drive 1.5 miles on Bolinas Rd to Sky Oaks Rd, where you bear left. Drive straight for .4 miles to the ranger station and entrance Kiosk (where a one-day parking pass must be obtained), then continue .6 mile to Lake Langunitas parking lot. We will meet in the parking lot.
Here is a map of most of the trails we will be traveling on:
We will hike the following trails:
• Lake Langunitas to Langunitas-Rock Springs FR (0.8 miles) to
• No-Name Trail (STEEP UPHILL, 0.5 miles) to Lagoon Extension Trail (0.5 miles) to Serpentine Point to
• Azalea Meadow Trail ( 0.9 miles) to Rifle Camp to
• Arturo Trail (0.5) to Mountaintop Trail (0.9) to
• Rock Spring Trail ( 1.4 miles) to West Point Inn (where we will stop for lunch) to
• Nora Trail (0.5 miles) to Matt Davis Trail ( 0.7 miles) to
• Hoo-Koo-E-Koo Trail and FR ( 2.7 miles) to
• Windy Ridge FR (0.4 miles) to Windy Ridge Trail (0.5 miles) to
• Tucker Trail ( 0.3 miles ) to Bill Williams Trail ( 0.6 miles) to
• Gertrude Ord Trail ( 1.1 miles ) to Fish Gulch Trail ( 0.6 miles ) to parking ( 0.5 miles)
Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments. This is especially important if there are any weather issues. Cancellations due to weather will be posted by 10 PM the previous evening.
Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival.
Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
Car pool etiquette- Come prepared to drive, be aware that there may be no others wanting to car pool from your selected location or there might be a lot of people and everyone might want to ride. We determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work!
Car pool locations:
SANTA ROSA: Coddingtown Mall parking lot in front of the Coddingtown library to leave by 8:00: http://goo.gl/maps/dBMKd
PETALUMA-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 8:15: http://goo.gl/maps/xA0qm
TERRA LINDA-Safeway Parking Lot, Manual T. Frietas Parkway. Park in the Safeway lot closest to Manual T. Frietas Parkway., depart at 8: 20 AM: https://goo.gl/maps/cPKr2
General room of thumb...$5 one hour or less to trailhead or $8 over one hour to trailhead. Please insist your driver accept the money. It's to cover more than gas money...it's the wear and tear on the vehicle. We like to take care of our drivers!
If there is a noted car pool that is full or doesn't work for you it would be wonderful if posted your own on the hike’s comments spot.
Bring your smile and great attitude!
See you on the trail!