Avoid the commute. Wouldn't you rather be hiking?
We try to hike at an average speed of[masked] mph. We do stop at all trail junctions and wait for the rest to catch up and then we get moving again. If you are a moderate hiker that is hiking frequently you will find our hikes quite enjoyable. If you are a new hiker or have recently just got back to hiking then our pace might be challenging for you at first until you fully get back into wandering on the trails. If you cannot hike at this pace, perhaps this hike isn't for you.
DESCRIPTION: We will travel on a fire-road to the summit and return partially on a combination of fire-roads and trail. We will complete a 5-6 mile loop. We will have some great views and will be traveling through open and mixed forest. We will gain approximately 1200 feet in elevation.
OPTIONAL: Full Moon hike afterwards at Rush Creek Open Space. THIS WILL BE POSTED AS A SEPARATE HIKE. IF YOU WANT TO GO ON BOTH, PLEASE SIGN UP FOR BOTH.
Here is a map of Mt Burdell OS:
DIRECTIONS: From US 101 in Novato take the San Marin Drive/Atherton Avenue. Head west on San Marin Drive for about 2 miles. Turn north (right) onto San Andreas Drive, and continue about 0.4 mile. Look for and park near the Open Space gate.
• Duration: 2-2.5 hours
• Facilities: No, just the usual assortment of trees and bushes....
• Dogs?: Well-behaved
• Bring water. It may be hot. Bring a lot!
• Bring a snack
• Bring your smile and great attitude! We are ALL about trail enjoyment while respecting everyone’s time!
CAR-POOLING: Car pool etiquette: First and foremost....come prepared to drive. If we have a gang wanting to ride we determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work!
General rule of thumb for riders...$5 one hour or less to trailhead $8 over one hour to trailhead. Please insist your driver accept the money. It's to cover more than gas money...it's the wear and tear on the vehicle. We like to take care of our drivers!
PLEASE if possible try to use the locations below. The more locations we have the less effective we are and it's so much more complicated. Exceptions would be if you are not close to any of the designated locations.
Car pool locations:
SANTA ROSA: Coddingtown Mall parking lot in front of the Coddingtown library to leave by 3:15 PM (using carpool lane)
PETALUMA: Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 3:30
• Only RSVP when you can commit to attend. Once you have RSVP'd, if you have to cancel please change your RSVP by 5pm the prior day.
• Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments to the hike details. Cancellations or any adjustments will be posted by 10 pm the previous evening.
• Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival. You will be left behind if you are not ready to head out at the hike start time.
See you on the trail!