Have you ever wanted to hike ALL over Sugarloaf/Bald Mtn?
Here's your chance…..
We are going to take a very circuitous, roller coaster route up to the summit of Bald Mountain, then go out and back to Red Barn then wind our way back down the mountain via Headwaters and Vista trails. We actually hike on sections of every trail on Bald Mtn, except Meadow.
Here's our route from the parking lot: Lower Bald Mtn to Vista to Gray Pine to Hillside to Brushy Peaks to Gray Pine up to the summit. The top of Bald Mountain has a spectacular 360-degree view. On a clear day you can see from the Sierra Nevada Range to the San Francisco skyline and the Golden Gate Bridge. Here, we will have our first snack break.
Then, we will go out and back (about 3 miles round trip) on High Ridge Trail to Red Barn. Upon our return to Bald Mtn summit, we will stop for lunch, if it is not too windy. Otherwise, we will find a more sheltered place just down the trail.
We will start our descent on Bald Mtn Trail but then take Red Mountain to Headwaters to Vista to Bald Mtn (again) and then head down Lower Bald Mtn. to the parking lot. Sections of these trails can be difficult – we need to watch our footing as they are steep and narrow in certain sections.
This is a strenuous hike!
The link to the park brochure and trail map is below:
Let's go for it!
Need to know details:
- Charge of $8.00 per car to enter the Sugarloaf State Park. Bring exact change as you will need to put the dollar bills in an envelop rather than paying the ranger directly.
- This is a trail that is exposed to the sun during most of the hike...consider a hat and wear sunblock.
- Wear layers as it will probably start cool but may end warm or windy!
- We do head out promptly at on time...make sure you aren't left behind by getting there well in advance.
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. We keep a steady pace and we just keep going! Please be sure that you are in condition for this hike.
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments. This is especially important if there are any weather issues.
- Cancellations due to weather will be posted by 10pm the previous evening. We often do hike in light rain.
- Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
- Duration: approx. 5 hours
- Facilities: Sugarloaf, at the trail head.
- Dogs?: None allowed
- Bring plenty of water. Be prepared with 3 liters.
- Bring a lunch and snacks.