December 1, 2012 · 9:45 AM
This location is shown only to members
We are making a change! Lets take ADVANTAGE of the rainy weather and head for Steep Ravine where it will be absolutely gorgeous as a result of this rainy weather. We'll see cascading waterfalls, mossy riverbeds and a rain freshened redwood forest! It will be appx 7 miles and 1500 ft. There are a lot of people that feel Steep Ravine is one of the prettiest trails on Mt Tam...imagine how gorgeous it will be after these rains or even IN the rain! We will plan to be off the trail by about 1 in case anyone feels like heading to a warm dry spot for lunch!
FOR car pools ...we have a change. Please document your car pool info in your RSVP comments NOT the general comments below. That will eliminate many msgs to the hike attendees. Car pool etiquette- Come prepared to drive, be aware that there may be no others wanting to car pool from your selected location or there might be a lot of people and everyone might want to ride. We determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work!
Then PLEASE if possible try to use the two locations below. The more locations we have the less effective we are and it's so much more complicated. Exceptions would be if you are not close to either location.
Car pool locations:
Coddingtown Library parking lot suggested leave at 8:15
Petaluma-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 8:45
General room of thumb...$5 one hour or less to trailhead $8 over one hour to trailhead. Please insist your driver accept the money. It's to cover more than gas money...it's the wear and tear on the vehicle. We like to take care of our drivers!
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. Slow and steady and we just keep going! If you are in the front you will find yourself waiting. If you are in the back the group may move on as soon as you are within sight. Make sure that this is something you will enjoy.
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments. This is especially important if there are any weather issues. Cancellations due to weather will be posted by 10pm the previous evening.
- Give yourself time to find the trailhead so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
- Duration: 3-4 hours
- Facilities: at the trailhead
- Dogs?: none allowed
- Bring plenty of water. More than one bottle is usually a good idea.
- Dress in layers. Bring rain gear. The hike starts off cool but rapidly warms up.
- Bring a snack that you can munch on as you hike. Due to the weather we are NOT planning a snack stop!
- Always try to car-pool if you can. If there is a noted car pool that is full or doesn’t work for you it would be wonderful if posted your own on the hike’s comments spot. And car poolers if you are riding with someone other than your leader please chip in for gas and the use of their car.
- Bring your smile and great attitude! Once again....this is not about finishing the hike in record time...it's about enjoying ourselves and the outdoors! If you are a medium to fast hiker you will be waiting for those of us that huff and puff our way up the trail. Please make sure this is something that you will enjoy! We are ALL about trail enjoyment!
See you on the trail!