Dec 31, 2012 · 9:45 AM
This location is shown only to members
Sorry this event is now maxed out!
We are going to have a blast making our way through a loop of 8 of Mt. Tam's trails. It's 7 miles with 1900 feet of elevation gain! Rated Moderate to strenuous. Bring your party hats and horns! Can you think of a better way to end the year? Let's have a toast at the top of TAM...WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE TIP TOP! The parking fills up so we have to have an early start time...plus we want to finish early so you can get ready for the evening's festivities!
Our route will be as follows:
Gravity Car Grade to Old Railroad Grade to Vic Haun to Temelpa, to Verna Dunshee to Eldridge Grade to Wheeler and ending it all up with Hoo-Koo-E-Koo....ooh-la-la! The trail climbs steeply from Mountain Home Inn directly to the summit so we will get a great workout. Then we loop around the maintain enjoying stunning views. It's 7 miles but 1900 feet in altitude gain......I feel the sweat dripping already! You will be home in plenty of time to put your feet up and relax before you head out for your night of revelry!
A brochure with a trail map (you need to go to the last page of the brochure and ZOOM in) is available here:
We are meeting at the parking lot across from Mountain Home Inn. The address is 810 Panoramic Hwy Mill Valley,ca. For those of us that have done the Matt Davis Trail...the Mountain Home Inn is on the way to the Pantoll Ranger station on Panoramic Hwy. If the parking lot is full across from Mountain Home Inn on your left..proceed down the dirt road after Mountain Home Inn on the right. As you travel down the dirt road you will find a parking area down at the bottom. (the access to the fire station leaves from the road on the left)
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. Slow and steady and we just keep going!
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments. This is especially important if there are any weather issues. Cancellations due to weather will be posted by 10pm the previous evening.
- Give yourself time to find the trailhead so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
- Duration: 4-5 hours including lunch at the top
- Facilities: to be determined
- Dogs?: none allowed
- Bring plenty of water. More than one bottle is usually a good idea.
- Dress in layers. The hike starts off cool but rapidly warms up.
- Bring a snack. We will have a lunch at the top. Bring your party horn and some wine or champagne!
- Always try to car-pool if you can. If there is a noted car pool that is full or doesn’t work for you it would be wonderful if posted your own on the hike’s comments spot. And car poolers if you are riding with someone other than your leader please chip in for gas and the use of their car.
- Bring your smile and great attitude! Once again....this is not about finishing the hike in record time...it's about enjoying ourselves and the outdoors! If you are a medium to fast hiker you will be waiting for those of us that huff and puff our way up the trail. Please make sure this is something that you will enjoy! We are ALL about trail enjoyment!
FOR car pools ...we have a change. Please document your car pool info in your RSVP comments NOT the general comments below. That will eliminate many msgs to the hike attendees. Car pool etiquette- Come prepared to drive, be aware that there may be no others wanting to car pool from your selected location or there might be a lot of people and everyone might want to ride. We determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work!
Then PLEASE if possible try to use the two locations below. The more locations we have the less effective we are and it's so much more complicated. Exceptions would be if you are not close to either location.
Car pool locations:
Coddingtown Library parking lot suggested leave at 8:25
Petaluma-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 8:50
General room of thumb...$5 one hour or less to trailhead $8 over one hour to trailhead Please insist your driver accept the money. It's to cover more than gas money...it's the wear and tear on the vehicle. We like to take care of our drivers!
See you on the trail!