Dec 20, 2012 · 9:45 AM
This location is shown only to members
Please see new info regarding car pooling below!
This hike climbs (1400 feet) to one of the highest points in North Marin. It offers several groves of redwoods, great views and beautiful wildflowers in the spring. It is reminiscent of Pomo Canyon out on the coast but is much closer to home. We should be off the trail by 1:30pm giving you plenty of time to take care of other things in your life!
This hike will happen even if raining, unless it's a downpour. This a great hike when raining as there is a dense tree canopy most of the way. But check for updates the night before, just in case.
Be aware; there are horses on the trail and it can be muddy.
Directions: From Hwy 101 in Novato go West on San Marin Dr. to Novato Blvd. Continue straight on Sutro Ave. Where Sutro ends in a "T" intersection take a right on Vineyard Rd to the hilltop where the road turns to dirt and there is an open space sign on the left. Park along the shoulder of the road.
FOR car pools ...we have a change. Please document your car pool info in your RSVP comments NOT the general comments below. That will eliminate many msgs to the hike attendees. Car pool etiquette- Come prepared to drive, be aware that there may be no others wanting to car pool from your selected location or there might be a lot of people and everyone might want to ride. We determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work!
Then PLEASE if possible try to use the two locations below. The more locations we have the less effective we are and it's so much more complicated. Exceptions would be if you are not close to either location.
Car pool locations:
Santa Rosa Coddingtown Library parking lot suggested leave at 8:40
Petaluma-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. leave at 9:10
General room of thumb...$5 one hour or less to trailhead and $8 over one hour to trailhead. Please insist your driver accept the money. It's to cover more than gas money...it's the wear and tear on the vehicle. We like to take care of our drivers!
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. A steady pace and we just keep going! This is not about finishing the hike in record time...it's about enjoying ourselves and the outdoors. If you are a faster hiker you will be waiting for those of us that huff and puff our way up the trail. If you are a slower hiker you will find that we head off up the trail as soon as you catch up with the group. Please make sure this is something that you will enjoy.
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments. This is especially important if there are any weather issues. Cancellations due to weather will be posted by 10pm the previous evening.
- Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
- Duration: 3-4 hours
- Facilities: none
- Dogs: no
- There are horses on this trail and they have the right of way. If you are uncomfortable with horses then this might not be the trail for you.
- Bring plenty of water. More than one bottle is usually a good idea.
- Dress in layers. This is winter...bring rain gear
- Bring a snack; we will take a short break about half way on this hike. Bring something to sit on in case the ground is wet.
- Always try to car pool if you can. Riders, please chip in for gas and the use of the driver's car.
- See you on the trail!