It is a 6 mile loop with a significant altitude gain of 1300 feet. This is the best hike in the S. Taylor State Park. We do a 6 mile version monthly..that leads through a ferny mossy bay forest, passes by a spur to a seasonal waterfall, and then bags the summit of Barnabe Peak at 1,466 feet. The majority of the climb is gradual with pleasant switchbacks but the last 20 minutes to the top will get your heart rate up! This is a good hike if you want to bring wine.
Here is a link to the parks brochure.
Directions from E. Washington St. exit from 101 in Petaluma
1. Head southwest on E Washington St toward Edith St 0.2 mi
2. Take the 3rd left onto Lakeville St 0.1 mi
3. Take the 1st right onto E D St 4.8 mi
4. Continue onto Petaluma Point Reyes Rd/Point Reyes Petaluma Rd/Red Hill Rd Continue to follow Point Reyes Petaluma Rd/Red Hill Rd 7.7 mi
5. Turn left onto Nicasio Valley Rd 3.4 mi
6. Turn right to stay on Nicasio Valley Rd 4.3 mi
7. Turn right onto Sir Francis Drake Blvd 2.6 mi
8. Continue for one mile beyond the main entrance. Please note...you do not enter the park!! Go past the park entrance by appx. 1 mile. Park in the dirt pullout across the road from Devil's Gulch Horse Camp.
Please read and be familiar with the guidelines of the group as listed below. It’s important before you come on a Wanderer hike that you agree and are prepared with the following.
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. A steady pace and we just keep going! If you are in the lead you will end up waiting at trail junctions. If you are in the back you will be asked to do your best to keep up with the group and at waiting points the group may move on as soon as you are within sight. Our pace averages 2.5mph. We do get separated from time to time as everyone walks their own pace but please bear in mind that you will need to be able to stay within a reasonable distance from the group. Make sure this is something you are prepared for and would enjoy
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments to the hike details. Cancellations or any adjustments will be posted by 10pm the previous evening.
- RSVP etiquette must be followed. Only RSVP when you can commit to attend. Once you have RSVP'd if you have an emergency that means you have to cancel please change your RSVP by 5pm the prior day. This will avoid a "no-show" reflecting on your participation history. Over 3 "no-shows" might mean we have to excuse you from the group. We try very hard to respect each other in this group.
- Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival. You will be left behind if you are not ready to head out at the hike start time.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
- Duration: 3-4 hours
- Facilities: none
- Dogs?: none allowed on trail
- Bring plenty of water. More than one bottle is usually a good idea.
- Dress in layers. The hike starts off cool but rapidly warms up.
- Bring a snack. We always have a break at the top and since it's an easy walk back it's a great hike for wine.
- Bring your smile and great attitude! We are ALL about trail enjoyment while respecting everyone’s time!
See you on the trail!
Car pool etiquette- First and foremost....come prepared to drive. Yes.....I know.....a lot of you are trying to car pool because you don't want to or can't drive for whatever reason. I don't want you to be disappointed, so if you can't drive please be aware that you might not be able to join the hike. There is always that risk if you are counting on others to be your transportation. There may be no others wanting to car pool from your selected location or there might be a lot of people and everyone might want to ride. You might arrive late, be in the wrong spot or get stopped by a swarm of your paparazzi...come prepared to drive to the trail head if you want to hike! If we have a gang wanting to ride we determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work! General rule of thumb for riders...$5 one hour or less to trailhead $8 over one hour to trailhead Please insist your driver accept the money. It's to cover more than gas money...it's the wear and tear on the vehicle. We like to take care of our drivers!Then PLEASE if possible try to use the two locations below. The more locations we have the less effective we are and it's so much more complicated. Exceptions would be if you are not close to either location.
Car pool locations:
SANTA ROSA: Coddingtown Mall parking lot in front of the Coddingtown library to leave by 8:30
PETALUMA-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 8:45