addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sonoma Beerocrats Homebrewing Club Message Board › I could use some mini-keg, ball lock to faucet, dispensing advice

I could use some mini-keg, ball lock to faucet, dispensing advice

A former member
Post #: 22
I could really use some dispensing advice,

I recently invested in a slick little set up - thanks in large part to the really tasty oatmeal stout someone shared a the bear republic brew day back in july: the regulator (http://www.williamsbr...­) from williams and the 2 1/2 gal keg. My PLAN was to jump from out to out using two black ball locks - 5 foot 3/16" hose, I pressurized the smaller keg and bled off the pressure to fill it (it sits on a scale and i watch the weight increase until it is full). The beer originates in the 5gal keg and is carbonated to 12psi. Does the jump/service line reduce the pressure?

SO, when I attach the regulator, then try to pour from the faucet (http://www.williamsbr...­) but I went with a perlick - it is all foam, any questions I could also answer, anyone have experience with this regulator and mini-kegs, what can I do to get a clean pour? The pressure on the regulator is at 4psi and I can bump it up, thanks so much!
Kevin T.
KevinTeel
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 3
Greg,
That was my keg. It sounds like you have the same procedure as me right up to dispensing from the little keg. I have not found that the jumper line changes my pressure in any way. I have found that I need to try to apply the same pressure that it was on the 5 gallon keg to get a true foam free flow. It seems that the 4psi is a low. I usually have problems if I am too high or too low. I have followed the philosophy of dispense the keg at the pressure the beer is at. This is probably not so wise, with say, Saisons at 3.5 volumes, but in general it works great. I do not have that regulator on my system, just a simple cartridge and all I do is keep my eye on flow rate at tap every now and again and add a small shot of CO2 to keep the flow rate correct (definitely a bit more labor intensive). I figure this is OK since the keg is assumed to be consumed fairly quickly, with no appreciable changes in pressure in brew. I have also noticed that if I do not keep my eye on it, and people have run the pressure down, it takes a bit to get the system back in line. Just an aside for others....The way I keep track of the small keg fill is watch the dew line that forms immediately when jumping from a cold 5 gallon keg. I can watch it crawl up the side of the little keg with a nice, clear delineation! so many ways to get things done in this hobby!.
Hope that helps
A former member
Post #: 67
I think kevin covered it nicely, but if any trouble remaims you can also try to counter pressure fill the 2.5 using the same concept as a counter pressure bottle filler. You would need to have the gas split and run to both kegs and then jump start a gravity siphon between the two...prob by pulling the.pressure ring on the 2.5. But hopefully it doesnt come to that.
A former member
Post #: 68
I think kevin covered it nicely, but if any trouble remaims you can also try to counter pressure fill the 2.5 using the same concept as a counter pressure bottle filler. You would need to have the gas split and run to both kegs and then jump start a gravity siphon between the two...prob by pulling the.pressure ring on the 2.5. But hopefully it doesnt come to that.