addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Bill S.
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 80
The question boils down to.. Should you de-gas your beer before checking your FG? I never have until the last batch and I definitely noted a difference between the beer pulled from the fermenter in the hydrometer cylinder.. vs after it was shook a couple of times and re-checked.

I've never seen it discussed before in either the literature or discussions.. only twirling the hydrometer to remove bubbles. Degassing makes sense.. but, don't know if it is a general practice..
A former member
Post #: 1
really? what kind of a difference? i suppose theoretically the bubbles will make the hydrometer float a little, but enough to give you a false OG? THanks for the tip on this, never really thought about it until now. Thanks for the tip
A former member
Post #: 71
While checking original gravity there will no Co2 present. Checking Finish gravity before carbonating there will be a little Co2 present. Like Bill mentioned swirling or stirring the sample should degas the beer to give you a proper reading.
cami k.
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 66
In case you forget to get a final gravity reading before you carb your beer (as I have done several times! :)) All is not lost, just let some sit out overnight and then take a gravity reading on the stale beer.
A former member
Post #: 2
You can also put the beer through a quick microwave shot for degassing, I do this for my wine before doing TA testing.
Bill S.
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 85
Thanks.. that confirmed my finding.