Sonoma Beerocrats Homebrewing Club Message Board › Cold Crashing?

Cold Crashing?

Robert C.
user 14804801
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 29
What is the ideal temp for cold crashing a brew and for how long do you usually do it? We have got two 6 gallon carboys filled at about 5.5 gallons each. I know that the length is going to be directly proportionate to the clarity of the beer but "generally speaking" how long are we talking? 4 days? A week? Any help would be appreciated. This is the first time that we have tried this.
Scott W.
ScottWagman
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 3
Strangely enough, I'd like to know this too... :)
Bill S.
HbgBill
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 91
I cold crash for a 'bakers week' at about 35*. The longer you cold crash the more time the proteins/yeast/hop residue have to coagulate and drop out. Bring back to ~70* after bottling to condition. If kegging, you are all set.. rack into the keg and you are at a great temp to start your carbonation.

That's what I do... others?
Robert C.
user 14804801
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 31
Thanks Bill.
Bill S.
HbgBill
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 93
Robert.. the Bakers Week is just a term.. could be 7-10 days depending on how lazy/busy I am. Usually, I CC for just 4 days. as a routine habit. By then it's clear. Never tried a faster round.

Forgot to add that when I had a dedicated refer, I cc'd a few degrees colder.. but 35-36* is where my keezer is set.