Sophos -- Study of Philosophy Message Board › Need your input

Need your input

Rabbi Mordecai F.
user 13690183
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA

Dear Friends,

In anticipation of our Meetup this Sunday, I wanted to ask the group for some input.

My starting place is that we are studying the great philosophic texts as an entry to discussing life’s essential questions, and for assessing the meaning and conduct of our own lives. In other words, we are not studying the texts ultimately for mastery of the literature, but rather for insight into ourselves and our society.

I would like to see greater participation in the discussion. One way to go would be to have a brief introductory discussion, then break down into smaller groups for a while, and then come back to the larger group for questions and further discussion. Questions would be: how we break down into the groups, who would facilitate each group, and for how long the small group would meet.

Another way to go would be for me to me a much stronger discussion leader. My tendency has been to allow for a wide range of comments that can go in any direction. I could come in a with a specific outline for discussion and make sure we stick to it, and encourage each attendee to offer a thought or two as move through the text for the day. I’d like to hear everyone contribute to the discussion , without pushing the truly reticent.

There is a range of possibilities in between these two options. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Please get back to me with your ideas.

Best wishes

Rabbi Mordecai Finley
Marcielle
user 4961957
Sierra Madre, CA
Post #: 11
My experience with a large group is that breaking up into smaller groups can be helpful, since
the topic is approached in a manner for which that small group sees fit.

Upon return to the larger group, it is fascinating to see how differently each group has approached the subject. Smaller groups tax the facilitator less, and seem not to tire the group as a whole, as much as with a large group.

Some quiet people may feel more at ease participating, as well.

You may wish to at least try it.

I, personally like a strong leader in larger groups, because some people tend to dominate and others may feel left out.

I hope this helps, even though I have not yet attended.
'Looking forward to meeting you all.