Doors open 7.15. Starts promptly at 7.30 pm £9 in advance via PayPal, £12 on the door
Advance bookings close at 4pm on the day.
A safe, informal group of vocalisers who enjoy sound, voice, rhythm and music to release stress, clear the mind and build community. It’s not a choir, but a playshop, with exercises, improvisations and songs blending into a rich mix of creative sound. You’ll leave feeling relaxed, energised and uplifted, with mind and body still and peaceful. It’s deep, and fun.
Open to all levels of experience - uncertain singers are especially welcome. It’s about participation in a group, rather than individual performance; you can remain anonymous until your confidence grows, while more experienced vocalisers can shine in a supportive group. I balance musical and vocal awareness and discipline with the freedom to discover and explore your own, unique expression.
In a typical session we will do:
- stretches, movement & breathing to loosen and energise the body.
- voice warm-ups to develop technique, creativity, flexibility & power.
- free improvisation and sound-making to express our feelings bring the group together. We also sing simple songs and improvise with them.
- toning, sound meditations, sacred chants and world music from different traditions, countries and cultures - deep, beautiful & entrancing.
- group harmony singing - popular songs from any genre or era: Jazz, Pop, Soul, Blues, Gospel, Spirituals, Folk, 50’s, 60’s,70’s. Any kind of music which is energising, calming, inspiring, fun, beautiful, happy or uplifting !
It’s an opportunity to learn about energy and creativity and about getting into a flow of listening, responding, communicating and expressing different parts of yourself via spontaneous and meaningful musical interactions.
This playshop is about more than singing & voicework; it’s about using your voice as a tool for personal growth & creative self-expression. Each individual voice in a group of kindred spirits contributes to the whole sound community, creating a healing vocal workout for mind, body and spirit.
Contact: Philip Milburn. 07966 536180. 01273 779950. [masked]
Please book in advance by RSVP, e-mail or text. Info on other workshops: please e-mail.
The tutor: Philip Milburn is an experienced singer and community musician, currently studying for an MA in Community Arts. He trained at Goldsmiths College, the Findhorn Foundation and with many different voice teachers. Singers Anon has been running for 12 years in London & Brighton.