South Bay Mountain Bike Group Message Board › Gary Martin ~ Rest in Peace

Gary Martin ~ Rest in Peace

A former member
Post #: 1
So sad to hear this. Gary was over-the-top kind to be so competent a rider and pretend that he was staying at the back of the pack for himself when I think it was to take care of all of us...and (he said) to give us some time to get ahead so he could go downhill really fast :-) I hope he is riding as much and as fast as he wants in another dimension. RIP
Kim
user 7772949
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 104
This is so sad and tragic. I met him on a ride and remember thinking he was a nice guy. My heart goes out to Gary's friends and family. May you find comfort and know the community is mourning with you.
Newton
user 12992792
San Jose, CA
Post #: 10
I am saddened to hear the news. Gary was always great to ride with. He always stayed back with me, when I was learning to ride, and chatting it up on the climbs. I remember having after ride beers with him at the STCP Fortini lot till after dark. I also remember the first time he took me down Rocky Ridge. It was on a group ride, but it was only me and him. He went ahead and would wait for me, and always reminded me to take it slow. All the while, I kept thinking "this is it, the defining over your head moment where you know you went too far." I made it, and I'm glad he was there with me.

It's tragic indeed. I'm glad he was with friends, and at a place that he absolutely loved. This year has been a year of very little riding for me, and I very much regret not making it out to a ride with Gary, in retrospect.

Gary was a great guy, and will always be remembered.
Taly
user 5382986
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 15
It is with a very heavy heart and much sadness that I need to let everyone know that our great friend, riding buddy and ride organizer, Gary, passed away this weekend. He was such a nice person with a kind word for everyone. He was the one to always ride at the back and keep us all together. He can not be replaced and will be missed by all that ever knew him. I will miss him.

Services will be this Saturday, I will keep all informed with the details in the near future.

Ray G

I am saddened about his death. Prayers for him,his family and friends. Rest in Peace.
taly
Joe
user 10015798
San Rafael, CA
Post #: 3
Everytime we ride at Skeggs, one of mountain bikings' greatest cathedrals, we will remember our riding buddy Gary and celebrate his riding spirit. Prayers and grace to all who knew him, and loved him. Let's ride!
A former member
Post #: 2
Hey Super G -

I've never known anyone who could change a flat tire faster than DJ and a broken chain faster than you!!! I've never forgotten your kind deed at the Gap. I know you enjoyed ST but I'll always think of you whenever I ride Arastradero. Keep riding......

A former member
What a shock. Gary was a wonderful riding partner. I will miss his presence and will feel his spirit.

Greg
A former member
What? I'm completely shocked! Gary was an awesome guy, although I only knew him from the Arastadero rides he had an amazing personality, I really enjoyed riding with him. His family will be in my prayers and I know Gary is enjoying some sweet flow single track right now in heaven.
Ken W.
user 53949402
San Leandro, CA
It was always great and fun riding with Gary, he will be missed! RIP.
Daphne C
user 12712106
Mountain View, CA
I'll miss riding with him. He is warm hearted and has a big smile. He always makes sure that everyone is ok. My condolences with his family and friends. Rest in peace.