South Bay Mountain Bike Group Message Board › Gary Martin ~ Rest in Peace

Gary Martin ~ Rest in Peace

Jeremy C.
user 22265481
Belmont, CA
Post #: 1
I just saw this and it knocked me out of my chair. Gary and Ray were the first people I met when I joined the group. I was out of shape and not sure I could keep up with the group and hold my own. Gary put me at ease and said "hang back with me and I'll push you along". He was on 99% of my rides with the group and I always had a great time BS-ing with him along the routes. He was a fantastic guy and I will certainly miss him whenever I'm on a group ride. He was a rock.
Kamaljit
user 24305782
Morgan Hill, CA
It's very sad news.
I still remember my first ride at Santa Teresa park with Gary, his encouragement and joking around helped me make it through that first and later rides. I will always miss his happy, lighthearted and big smile.

Rest in peace Gary.
tasso
user 10405405
Menlo Park, CA
This is very sad and shocking news! The rides won't be the same without Gary. Rest in Peace, buddy! You will be missed.
Stephen S.
user 18255811
San Jose, CA
We will miss you Gary.
Rita R.
user 8532526
Santa Clara, CA
Very sorry to hear. Gary was such a wonderful person. He was always smiling and in the back of the group encouraging me that “yes I could” climb the hill. It was an honor to know him and he will be missed.
RIP Gary!!
Lex J.
user 36418502
Santa Clara, CA
What an unexpected and shocking loss. We will all miss his great attitude and smiles. I will miss covering the rear with him.
Condolences to his family.
RIP Gary.
Lex
Navid
user 50396392
Philadelphia, PA
This is such tragic news. Gary was on my first ride, and every one thereafter! Such an awesome guy that welcomed me right into the group as a timid little noob. RIP Gary, you'll be missed!
Shawn
user 18734261
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
So shocking, unexpected and sad news. I remember riding with him at one of his favorites; Rocky Ridge. I could have not definitely made it down in one peice without his encouragement. Such a great loss to the mountain biking community! My prayers to all his family and friends in such a difficult time.
Carine
user 4936417
San Carlos, CA
Post #: 8
I heard about the tragic news during the ride on Sunday. I met Gary during my first ride with SBMBG. The first time I went riding in Santa Teresa County Park was during a ride he organized. He loved those rocky trails. He will be missed by all of us. Rest in peace, Gary.
KAo
San Mateo, CA
I am shocked to hear about this tragedy and still don't want to believe it. My first ride with the group was lead by Gary and immediately I knew this was a awesome person already. He is always supportive and great at what he did and love. Gary was always there to sweep and lead making sure everybody is ok. . I remember my last ride with him was actually two weeks ago at Arastradero. Through the short time i've known him it felt like years. "Gary, You are a great person and can not be replaced. Thank you so much for your guidance and laughs. I know you will be on our rides spiritually watching over us. My condolence to you and your family. We will miss you. MAY YOU REST IN PEACE....."