South Bay War Games Message Board › Games we would like to play in the future.

Games we would like to play in the future.

Dan R.
user 11157991
Fremont, CA
Post #: 34
Hi everyone.

Well just got back from Florida and am ready to dive into this new group. So I figure first topic is "What do we want to play" First up is Flames of War. I will take a stab at this. Have the rules and many of the books. I just was never a fan of these rules.

So after thais what are the interests? I play just about anything (see Flames of War) and any period. I like naval but again anything. Here is what I can supply:

1/1200 ACW Naval both sides.
6mm Heroic Ross ACW Both sides
10 mm ACW both sides.
1/3000th Pre-Dreadnaught Naval Mostly US but have some Russian and Japanese to make something up.
1/6000th WW1 Jutland German and British.
1/285th Micro Armour US and German. Also Foam terrain for Omaha Beach in this scale.
1/144th WW 1 Air.
15mm WW 2 Some mounted for Flame type games or Skirmish games.
Peanut scale sailing ship era. Trafalgar

All the above have many sets of rules to play.

Discussion is open. Who's next.

Dan
Greg
user 36984792
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
Dan,

This is a great list!

I have also played many types of naval games, some miniatures and some board based games ( I have the original Yaquinto version of Ironclads!) but I don't currently own any naval miniatures.

Naval Rules/Games I have

Close Action; Age of Sail (more of a "board game", hex based movement; but also used with miniatures)
Command at Sea: WWII naval miniatures
Harpoon: modern naval miniatures

I have US, German and Soviet micro-armour and terrain

As mentioned before, lots of German, Soviet and US 15mm which I use for FoW or Spearhead.

What I would suggest is that after a couple of sessions of FoW, is to try a ACW naval.

Greg
user 36984792
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 2
I also want to mention that I plan to do some boardgame events as well. I also am quite fond of card based wargames all the way back to Up Front (one of the originals, from the early '80s).
Dan R.
user 11157991
Fremont, CA
Post #: 35
Greg:

I have some board games also. Some can involve up to 6 people to play. Not talking about Risk either. I also have some sports games. Speed Circuit and Regatta come to mind.

I was up in Peteluma at a small Hobby trade show this past Saturday and dropped by the Hobby Town USA
store. Had a $20.00 gift card to spend. Bought 2 Flames of War Tigers. The store was offering something. If you showed you Second edition rule book you would get the 3rd edition rule book for I think nothing. Want to do a trip this weekend up there? It is Presidents weekend.

The other thing again. There is a gaming group meeting in Saratoga Saturday that 7 games will be put on one of which is my ACW Naval.

Dan
Dan R.
user 11157991
Fremont, CA
Post #: 39
I would like to dust this discussion group off and get it active. I am having a great time playing FOW. There are though other games to be played. Bill & I just put on an ACW game Shiloh last weekend which was a good game. Other Battles are coming up. Brawners Farm,2nd Battle of Bull Run,Antetiem, & Muffersborough to name just a few. These games are done in 6 mm. For this scale we need little space. Brawners Farm I think would be a very good intro to Bill's rules. Manassas to Appomatix. This set of rules moves. With the forces we had at the Shiloh game we got in 15 turns. From 11 am till we quit (time at this facility) 3pm.

Bill and I have other games we can share. I do ACW Naval. I have a set of rules from an old friend in Texas, Ed Texaria from Two Hour Wargames Group fame. One of his designers has sent me a rough draft so it can be tested and buthered by rules lawyers. Both of us can put on games in many periods, I though for now want to concentrate on the ACW because we are in the midst of honering this war for the nex 31/2 years.

FOW can still be run as Greg has room in that game room for FOW and 6mm ACW game.

Chime in guys.
Greg
user 36984792
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 12
Dan,

What I'm thinking right now is take down FoW after we get done with Utah Beach.

We could set up a 6mm ACW. This would leave room for a monster board game. I have a couple I have not had out for years.

Terrible Swift Sword (but maybe redundant with ACW miniatures)

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

And here is one I have NEVER had out

Wellington's Victory

http://boardgamegeek....­

I have only ever played Ney vs. Wellington which is the battle of Quatre Bras using the same game system

Dan R.
user 11157991
Fremont, CA
Post #: 40
That would be fine. Why don't you put a poll up to see what interest there would be for board gaming and what game that could be tryed. I have Bloody Omaha from Critical Hit Game company never been punched out even. That goes for Deluxe USN, an ACW game Hallowed ground and others.

As for the miniature game side. Bill can run a Manassas to Appomatix ACW game not to mention Blizkrig Commander WW 2 games. Both in 6mm. I have ACW Naval 1/1200 miniatures and a rule set that needs play testing from Two Hour Games. Jutland in 1/600th Scale. I have WW 1 Aircraft with many rule sets. I am working on a Pre-Dreadnaught situation for Celesticon that involves the San Francisco Bay area. Rules I just got called Coaling Stations. I also am working on 15mm individual WW2 figures for skirmish gaming.

It is just what interest is all in this. You do have enough room for board gaming and a miniature game that can run at the same time.

I would also like to discuss with you about Second Raid a little bit. The direction I want to take on that.

See you Sunday.
Christopher
user 22183131
Redwood City, CA
Post #: 3
Is "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" the Avalon Hill one?

Chris
Greg
user 36984792
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 13
Chris,

My bad, the name is actually "Rise and Decline of the Third Reich" (I told you I had not had it out for a while :) )

Yes, this is the classic AH game. I have the original from the 1970's

http://boardgamegeek....­
Greg
user 36984792
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 14
ALL:

I have put up polls for what to play next

1. One poll for a board based wargame

2. One Poll for the next type of Miniatures game to play

Please rate your interest 1-10